Licensed Practical Nursing (LPN)
Position: CTE Teacher-LPN
Location: 100% School Based
Position Period: 38.6 Week
Reports to: Academic Department Chair of Career and Technical Education
This is a citywide high school teaching position in Practical Nursing which is a Career and Technical Education (CTE) program. The Practical Nursing Program is a two-year honors curriculum in nursing education, which offers prescribed courses for nursing majors in grades 11 – 12. The nursing program prepares its graduates to take the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX) for licensure as a practical nurse. The nursing program is accredited by the National League for Nursing and is approved by the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulations (IDFPR).
CTE teachers are responsible to:
1. Provide rigorous and relevant instruction on pre-approved hands-on curriculum in the content area and general work-place readiness.
2. Integrate soft-skill instruction into competency-based content area activities.
3. Support students in industry relevant competitions, industry exploration activities, professional organizations and postsecondary initiatives.
4. Show evidence of project-based learning (e.g., competitions, capstone events, etc.)
5. Collaborate with core content teachers on common course planning, integration and alignment.
6. Collaborate with school-based staff (college and career coach, counselor, etc.) and CTE Partnership Development Liaisons and Program Coordinators to identify and recommend work-ready students.
7. Attend all relevant professional development set by the Department of College and Career Preparation in order to provide the best educational experience possible for students. Examples include:
o Quarterly industry-focused PD sessions.
o Industry advisory council meetings.
o Instructional PD sessions.
o Summer Institute sessions.
o New teacher supports (e.g., New Teacher Center PD, CTE teacher coaching)
8. Maintain and update industry certifications as required by Illinois State Board of Education and Chicago Public Schools.
9. Attend CPS CTE professional development sessions if working under a provisional certificate or a newly hired teacher.
*This is a Career and Technical Education (CTE) teaching position that is not at an OSI school.
· ISBE Type 09 in Health Careers, or ISBE Type 34/35 in Practical Nursing (certificate must be in place prior to teaching)
· Master’s degree in Nursing
· Current licensure as a Registered Nurse in the State of Illinois
· CPR certification
· Strong clinical background
· Minimum 6,000 hours (3 years full-time) of clinical industry experience (e.g., head nurse, team leader, case manager) within the past five (5) years.
· CPR Instructor certification
· Prior teaching experience
· Administrative experience
· Excellent planning, organization, written and verbal communication skills
· High-level problem solving skills
· Computer literacy and familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite
· Team and detail oriented