REPORTS TO: Executive Director of Special Education Services
Special Education Teachers
Related Services Staff
PRIMARY FUNCTION: The primary function of this position is related to placement of students with disabilities moving along the LRE continuum toward more or less restrictive settings in out-of-district and in-district schools. The Assistant Director will assume responsibility as part of a team to develop, implement and monitor the Individualized Education Programs (IEPs) for students. The qualified candidate must be able to plan and present professional development to increase system knowledge of the placement continuum and the alignment of in-district staff to meet both instructional and behavioral outcomes.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
1. Degree and certification in special education is required.
2. Knowledge of curriculum/state framework and standards with demonstrated successful experience in the areas of literacy, math and social skill development.
3. Minimum of five (5) successful years experience in special education.
4. Successful teaching experience in special education within the past five (5) years.
5. Outstanding leadership skills.
6. Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
7. Demonstrated knowledge of Federal and State Special Education Legislation and Laws.
8. Maintains positive relationships with private and public agencies.
9. Demonstrated ability to work effectively with parents, students and school staff.
10. Strong orientation toward urban school systems, preferred.
Connecticut Certification in Intermediate Administration/Supervision required.
Connecticut Certification in Special Education.
SALARY AND TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Salary Range ($107,032 – $114,172). Twelve-month position.
UNION AFFILIATION: Hartford Principals’ and Supervisors’ Association.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: All internal and external applicants must submit an online application.
To apply, go to: http://www.applitrack.com/hartford/onlineapp/
Or go to www.hartfordschools.org and follow the appropriate link.
An Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, M/F/V/D