WAYNE-WESTLAND COMMUNITY SCHOOLS
36745 Marquette Street
Westland, MI 48185-3289
TITLE: Vocal Music Teacher
REPORTS TO: Building Administrator
LOCATION: High School/Middle School
DATE: May 17, 2012
CLOSING DATE: Until Filled
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Other duties may be assigned.
- Application of instructional best practices in education and specific content area
- Use available technology in day to day presentation of lessons
- Control of classroom through the use of classroom management best practices
- Take an active role in District and school initiatives such as school improvement team, professional learning communities, PBS, curriculum committee, etc.
- Incorporate State content expectations in all lessons
- Follow District curriculum
- Use data to drive instruction
- Assess students and analyze needs and progress
- Maintain appropriate records
- Helps maintain instructional area, supplies, equipment and facilities
- Participate in special instructional activities to meet program and student goals
- Maintain confidentiality
- Regular and predictable attendance
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Must meet the definition of Highly Qualified as defined by the No Child Left Behind Act
- Must possess a valid Michigan Department of Education Teaching Certificate with a Music Education (JQ) endorsement
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Must be eligible to work in the United States
- Ability to read and comprehend instructions, short correspondence, and memos
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
- Ability to maintain composure under stressful conditions
- Ability to develop effective working relationships with students, staff and the school community
- Must have essential technology skills, i.e. skilled at using PC computer, laptop, assistive communication devices/technology and other educational technology and software
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to remain in a stationary position. The employee will be frequently moving around a classroom delivering instruction and will also be occasionally moving about the building to work with other colleagues. Frequently operates a computer and other technology in the classroom. The person in this position constantly communicates with students, parents, colleagues and administration and must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud. The employee is frequently required to interact with students, staff and occasionally with the public. At times, the employee may be directly responsible for the safety and well-being of students.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Compensation, length of the work day and number of work days is based on the W-WEA collective bargaining agreement.
Job performance is evaluated by a building administrator in accordance with district guidelines and the applicable collective bargaining language.
Apply on line at http://wwcsd.net or in person at the Human Resources Department to access the online application system.
The information contained in this job description is not an exhaustive list of duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individual currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The Wayne-Westland Community Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer.