JOB TITLE: ENGLISH AS A SECOND LANGUAGE (ESL) TEACHER K-12<SUP>th</SUP> Grade
LOCATIONS: DISTRICT WIDE
SUPERVISOR: BUILDING PRINCIPAL(S) & TBD
The job of an ESL Teacher is to accelerate the student’s learning and acquisition of the English language. The ESL Teacher also serves as a liaison between the student, other classroom teachers and their families. The role of the ESL Teacher is to provide the student with the necessary skills to become proficient in English through grammar, reading, writing, speaking and listening.
1. Proof of Proficiency in teaching Language Acquisition Skills
- Valid Michigan Teaching Certificate
- English as a Second Language (NS) Endorsement
- Other qualifications as the Board may find appropriate and acceptable
- Ability to serve as an itinerant teacher who daily services several schools in the district
- Actively engaging students by running a dynamic and student-centered classroom.
- Conduct placement testing and assessment according to Michigan Department of Education Guidelines.
- Maintain organized records of documentation regarding student achievement in ESL class.
- Operate standard office equipment including using -pertinent software applications and preparing and maintaining accurate records.
- Work well with children, parents, support staff and teaching staff, maintaining positive attitude and behavior.
- Promote a positive school environment each and every day. Reflect a positive attitude toward the students and staff, along with upholding the school/district philosophies.
- Be available to speak/work with parents and families during Parent-Teacher Conferences and other after school functions.
- Serve as a liaison between ESL students, their families and the school, especially with respect to cultural and language differences, and providing cross-cultural information for all stakeholders to promote positive relationships.
- Keeping abreast of current developments and best practices in ESL.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER