Internal Applicant Deadline: Friday May 25, 2012 at 4:30 pm.
Description: Edina Public Schools has an opening for a Debate Head Coach at Edina High School beginning July 1, 2012
Edina High School is seeking a Director of Debate for the 2012-13 school year. Edina High School has a rich tradition of success in debate and consistently ranks among the very top programs in Minnesota and the nation. Edina High School debaters participate in both the Policy and Lincoln-Douglas divisions. Novice students from the District’s two middle schools are also included in the program. Recent accomplishments include a 2012 Minnesota State High School League championship in Policy Debate.
Strongest consideration will be given to candidates with the following characteristics:
· Proven experience and success in debate either, or both, as a coach or debater
· A long-term vision for continuous improvement of the program
· High integrity and an ability to model both competitiveness and sportsmanship
· Strong administrative and communications skills
The selected candidate will be expected to:
· Provide high quality coaching to both varsity and novice debaters
· Foster skills in research, organization and cutting and filing evidence for building cases
· Conduct practices and student meetings to further develop the skills of the team
· Maintain rigorous expectations for student performance and growth
· Provide opportunities for competition at the national and local level
· Further develop both the Lincoln-Douglas and Policy components of the program
· Recruit and manage a team of quality assistant coaches
· Collaborate with the coaching staff, administration, parents and community supporters
· Represent Edina High School and the program in a variety of venues including coaches’ meetings, media requests, and team functions
About Edina Public Schools
Edina Public Schools is comprised of six elementary schools (K-5), two middle schools (6-9) and one senior high (10-12). Total enrollment is approximately 8,300 students. The District serves a large portion of Edina, a first-tier Minneapolis suburb comprised of approximately 47,450 people.