Special Education-ELA Teacher
Shue-Medill Middle School
JOB GOALS: To lead
students toward the fulfillment of their potential for intellectual, emotional,
social, and physical growth and maturation.
To help students learn subject matter and/or skills that will contribute
to the growth areas cited.
- Must hold or be eligible for State of Delaware Certification
in Special Education
- Highly Qualified status in core content area
- Teaches assigned classes using the educational philosophy and
policies adopted by the Board of Education.
- Utilizes State and District curriculum guidelines in
carrying out teaching assignments.
- Uses available resources, plans and implements a program of
study that meets students' needs, interests, and abilities.
- Interprets and uses data from a variety of educational
sources for the improvement of instruction.
- Uses appropriate instructional methods contingent upon
- Identifies students with special learning problems and takes
- Encourages and assists in the development of independent
- Communicates with students concerning their academic and
- Acts in ways which are likely to promote students' feelings
of self worth.
- Makes reasonable efforts to provide for the care and
protection of school property, equipment, and materials.
- Monitors the physical environment taking into account the
health, safety, and aesthetic needs of students.
- Encourage students to behave in accordance with classroom
and school rules.
- Keeps accurate records and makes reports as necessary.
- Recognizes the importance of parent/guardian and teacher
cooperation and confers with parents as appropriate.
- Maintains a professional relationship, working cooperatively
with all school personnel.
- Meets responsibilities as per contractual agreement and
- Pursues opportunities for professional growth.
- Must report to work on time every work day, except as
afforded by existing law.
- Must perform all duties as assigned during scheduled work
- Perform other duties as requested by administration to meet
the needs of the students.
An Acceptable Criminal Background Report and Negative
Pre-Employment Drug Screening is Required Prior to Employment with the
Christina School District
The Christina School District is an equal opportunity
employer. It is the policy of the Board of Education of the Christina School
District (“District”) that no person shall, on the basis of race, color,
religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, disability,
age or Vietnam Era veteran’s status be subjected to any discrimination prohibited
by the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended; the Age Discrimination in
Employment Act, as amended; the Americans with Disabilities Act, Section 504 of
the Rehabilitation Act of 1973; Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972;
and other applicable laws, regulations, and Executive Orders. This policy
applies to the District’s programs and activities. Inquiries regarding
compliance with this policy may be directed to Dr. Judi Coffield, Director of
K-12 Services, Christina School District, 600 North Lombard Street, Wilmington,
DE 19801; Telephone: (302) 552-2600.