REPORTS TO: Assistant Superintendent of K-12 Education
SUPERVISES: School Counselors, College Career Specialists, Internship Coordinators, College and Career Readiness Teams, RTI/SAT Coordinators, Grant Staff (as needed)
The Director of College Career Readiness, will establish and sustain a College Going and Career Development Culture and Climate throughout Hartford Public Schools. The Director will provide leadership in the development, operation, and integration of the College and Career Counseling Curriculum as well as the development, integration, and monitoring of a College and Career Readiness Framework/Matrix. The Director will collaborate with the Chief Academic Officer, Principals, and other stakeholders to ensure the school-based adoption of a district college-ready curriculum as well as other standards defining college readiness. The Director will create models that support the implementation of the district’s high school graduation policy, Internships, Student Success Plans, and Higher Education partnerships. The Director will set performance and program standards for Professional School Counselors and College and Career Specialists in the Hartford Public Schools. Based on these standards the Director will support Principals by participating in School Counselor and College Career Specialist evaluations. The scope of the work includes monitoring graduation and promotion data, post secondary entrance assessment data, transition planning and Capstone evaluation.
- Research and determine benchmark standards based on typical admissions requirements in diverse colleges.
- Conduct curriculum audit to assess current school-based opportunities for AP classes, ECE classes and dual enrollment.
- Design, implement, and monitor College and Career Counseling Curriculum that includes classroom and counseling components.
- Implement college entrance assessment school day administration program.
- Ensure school-based adoption of district college-ready curriculum as well as other standards defining college readiness (e.g., academic behaviors, college knowledge).
- Implement, monitor and evaluate college-ready curriculum across district.
- Develop, implement, monitor and evaluate a structured, comprehensive approach to increasing academic support to students who are enrolled in AP, ECE, and Dual Enrollment courses through RTI/SAT.
- Evaluate sequence of college-ready course curriculum and content to ensure skill development for college readiness (cognitive strategies, key content, academic behaviors, college knowledge).
- Develop and implement a philosophy, belief system, innovative strategies and measurement tools to create and nurture a college-going culture.
- Develop, implement, and monitor a College and Career Readiness Framework/matrix.
- Establish a plan, based on a set of guiding principles and standards, to align with college readiness strategies and action steps reflective of school themes and instructional practices.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive college awareness and preparation program for parents and community partners including peer reviewed and research based strategies and activities that increase college awareness and preparation from PK – 12/20.
- Design a College Awareness course to be taught in the Parent Academy.
- Develop an assessment and monitoring tool to effectively evaluate internships and job programs to ensure alignment between career competencies and district goals.
- Develop new partnerships with businesses and community based organizations to increase internship opportunities.
- Develop and implement a college support student ambassador program comprised of students from local colleges as well as seniors of HPS.
- Establish program and performance expectations for Professional School Counselors and Career Specialists positions and related programming consistent with the district theory of action.
- Co-evaluate Professional School Counselors, College Career Specialists, and Internship Coordinators
- Establish strong partnerships with local colleges to increase opportunities for early college models in the district and to increase dual credit opportunities.
- Provide professional development for Principals related to guidance, college access, capstone project designs, student e-portfolios and high school accreditation.
- Monitor and report on high school completion and post-secondary attendance and completion data.
- Actively pursue grant opportunities to advance graduation rates, career development, and post secondary enrollment rates.
- Develop, monitor, and evaluate research-based transition programs (5th-6th; 8th-9th; 12th college & career)
- Organize and facilitate and monitor community based college readiness programs that service Hartford Public Schools
- Perform other duties that may be assigned by the Assistant Superintendent of K-12 Education.
- Advanced graduate degree in education, guidance and/or leadership area.
- High level technical skills, e.g. Adobe products, Microsoft products, e-portfolios, data systems
- Experience with staff supervision and evaluations, particularly with Professional School Counselors and Career Specialists.
- Experience providing effective professional development.
- Experience with High School accreditation measures and processes.
- Experience creating performance measures and systems.
- Knowledge of data collection and tracking procedures to monitor program outcomes.
- Experience working with college partners.
- Knowledge of early college and dual credit models.
- Excellent research skills.
- Experience in school improvement planning and implementation.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Must be able to work within difficult time constraints and under stressful conditions.
- Must be self-initiated and an innovative thinker within a collaborative team structure.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with administrators, teachers, staff, community and external partners.
CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: CT Certification in Intermediate Administration/Supervision (092)
SALARY AND TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Salary in Accordance with Hartford Principals’ and Supervisors’ Association (HPSA) Group 12 ($116,796 - $127,152) 2011-2012
UNION AFFILIATION: Hartford Principals’ and Supervisors’ Association.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: All internal and external applicants must submit an online application.
Please visit http://talent.hartfordschools.org/
An Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, M/F/V/D