A Biology teacher should have experience and interest in teaching Biology and/or AP Biology courses to secondary students at a college preparatory charter high school. The teacher will be expected to be exceptionally knowledgeable about Biology concepts, vocabulary instruction, and strategies to connect the curriculum to real-world scenerios and student background knowledge.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: Any teacher must possess the ability to perform these essential job functions and typical duties:
· Support the mission, vision, values, and goals of the school.
· Create, plan, and teach a rigorous curriculum while meeting the needs of a diverse student population.
· Continuously monitor and evaluate student outcomes through informal and formative assessments.
· Effectively and consistently communicates and interacts with students, parents, staff, and community.
· Develops, selects, and differentiates instructional plans and materials to meet the needs of all students.
· Provides an atmosphere and environment conducive to the intellectual, physical, social, and the emotional development of children.
· Experience working with students academically or behaviorally “at-risk” and/or students with special needs is preferred.
· Strives to maintain and improve professional competence.
· Ability to work collaboratively with administration and teaching staff.
· Maintains appropriate records and follows required procedures and practices.
· Monitors appropriate use and care of equipment, materials, and facilities.
· Familiar with educational technology (Smartboards, Moodle, etc.).
ADDITIONAL STAFF RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Attends weekly staff meetings.
· Serves on staff committees, IEP teams, Intervention Assistance Teams, grade level teams, and curriculum teams as required.
· Creates, offers, and teaches a one hour after-school elective once per week (electives are based on teacher/student interest).
· Available to students one hour, twice per week for after-school tutoring.
· Assists with student hallway, lunch room, and/or parking lot monitoring before, during, and/or after school as assigned by administration.
Qualifications: B.A. in Biology, M.A. preferred, Michigan Certification in grades 9-12
Positions will remain open until filled.