ROCKFORD BOARD OF EDUCATION
Job Title: Director of College and Career Readiness
Supervisor: Assistant Superintendent
Date: May 22, 2012
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
The Director of College and Career Readiness oversees the development, implementation, assessment, and continuous improvement of programs aimed at increasing student access to post secondary education and employment opportunities, specifically through High School Academies and Career and Technical Education (CTE) programs. The Director facilitates curriculum development, revision, and review that supports district initiatives; assists in hiring and supervision of personnel; supports teachers as they implement curriculum; provides mentoring to ensure retention of highly qualified teachers; analyzes achievement data at the district and building levels; leads the process of assessment development; promotes the participation of stakeholders: families, community agencies, state and national organizations; and, guides necessary changes to achieve excellence and equity.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Assistant Principals, Assistant Principals of Curriculum, Academy Coaches and Content Area Teachers
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Regularly meet with the Assistant Superintendent(s), Principals, Academy Coaches, APs of Curriculum and content area teachers.
2. Create and refine CTE and 9<SUP>th</SUP> grade transition course offerings to create career pathways for high school students, supported by middle school offerings.
3. Develop and maintain the CTE program budget (Perkins, CTEI, and other grants). Ensure CTE programs follow state guidelines pursuant to reinstitution of state grant. Coordinate ordering and distribution of materials.
4. Identify, pursue, and implement programs and grants which support the purposes of CTE programs and High School Academies.
5. Coordinate program offerings with local community colleges, universities, technical schools and certification programs to increase student access to career based certifications and college credits.
6. Assist building principals, assistant principals and academy coaches to develop partnerships with local businesses which support and sustain High School Academies.
7. Develop and maintain relationships with community based organizations in order to provide advisement regarding curriculum alignment, offer teachers with professional development opportunities, and create student access to a variety types of experiences (presentations, job shadowing, internships, etc.) to enhance the curriculum in core content areas as well as CTE courses.
8. Coordinate the work of the subject area Assistant Principals of Curriculum to ensure that the district's student outcomes and corresponding curriculum are implemented, assessed and revised as necessary on a timely and systematic basis.
9. Assist staff in developing and implementing curriculum, instructional strategies, materials and assessments aimed at achievement of district wide college and career readiness benchmarks.
10. Assist building administration with recruiting and retaining qualified teachers for CTE courses.
11. Provide staff development on current best practices in education including project based learning, problem based case study learning, reading and writing across the curriculum and other strategies that are effective with a school’s population.
12. Organize and facilitate discussions with classroom staff and administrators about curriculum and instruction, such as PLCs, academy teams, or grade level meetings to provide opportunities for teachers and staff to focus on content, classroom pedagogy, student work, assessment, grade reporting, student learning, reading and writing across the curriculum and curriculum implementation.
13. Observe classroom instruction and provide feedback to principals and classroom staff on ways to increase effectiveness of instruction for all students, the implementation of the district curriculum, reading and writing strategies, and best practice as it relates to instruction.
14. Assist building principals and classroom staff with the effective use of instructional materials and equipment, including use of technology, the delivery of the district curriculum, effective instructional strategies, and application of student assessment techniques.
15. Assist staff in understanding and implementing national, state, and district standards, in analyzing student achievement data, and in determining how to focus instruction to remediate and reinforce skills and knowledge in the content area.
16. Assist staff in the development and management of student observation techniques and other assessment strategies, such as authentic or performance assessments and portfolios, to determine student mastery of content skills as well as determine areas that need increased instruction.
17. Provide support to new staff and staff whose teaching assignments have changed.
18. Regularly meet with building administrators to provide assistance in curriculum development and implementation, staff development and assessment.
19. Conduct reviews of instructional materials and when appropriate make recommendations for change through involvement of instructional staff through district approved procedures (Curriculum Committee work and Instructional Council) for recommendation to the superintendent. Upon approval, coordinate ordering and distribution of materials.
20. Plan and coordinate district-wide staff development activities with Director of Professional Development.
21. Keep abreast of new materials, current research trends, techniques and ideas through reading professional materials and attendance at seminars, conferences, workshops within and outside of the district.
22. Assume any other duties as may from time to time be delegated by the Asst. Superintendent of Learning. The Asst. Superintendent of Learning may make any adjustment in the scope of responsibilities as outlined above which will be in the best interest of the school district.
Secondary Teaching Certificate
Previous successful experience as a secondary teacher
Master’s degree from an accredited college/university
Training or course work in a variety of research-based techniques/programs
Training or experience facilitating groups and working with adult learners
Training or course work in the administration and analysis of assessments and the use of data to guide instructional practice and intervention
Type 75 preferred-not required
LENGTH OF WORK: 12 months
Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of Career and Technical Education programming and funding
Demonstrated knowledge of integrated project based learning
Demonstrated success in developing and coordinating community based events and professional development experiences
Demonstrated success in providing staff development using best practices
Demonstrated skills in facilitation, conflict resolution and learning modalities
Demonstrated success in working with adults and working knowledge of adult learning theories
Demonstrated knowledge of and ability to use the data from assessments to inform changes in classroom instruction
Demonstrated success in interpersonal relations and oral and written communication skills
Familiarity with Microsoft Office, digital media, and relevant software/applications
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to carry out each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required.
Moderate in-district travel as well as intermittent in-state and out-of-state travel. Intermittent prolonged and irregular hours of work.
This job description describes duties and responsibilities which are representative of the nature and level of work assigned to the position. The identified duties and responsibilities are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the school district and employee and is subject to change by the school district as the needs of the school district and requirements of the job change.
Applicants for this position do not have to complete the vacancy form to apply for this position.