General Purpose of Job: To inspire and prepare all students with the confidence, courage, and competence to achieve their dreams; contribute to community; and engage in a lifetime of learning.
This classroom will contain a cluster of both our highest achieving incoming 6th graders and our incoming 6th grade ELL students.
Birch Grove Elementary School for the Arts is a collaborative learning community recognized for academic excellence achieved through full integration of the arts. In addition to meeting state academic content standards, required state assessments and follow district curricular outcomes, instruction at Birch Grove is filtered through the lens of the "arts" theme. Value added educational standards in the areas of visual arts, performance arts, literary arts and technology arts are integrated with district curriculum. Students learn in the visual arts studio, dance studio, a black-box theater, a broadcast center, on stage productions, and are able to demonstrate their achievement at evening performances.
Staff at Birch Grove Elementary Schools for the Arts are expected to use strategies from the Responsive Classroom Approach, and fully engage in the PBIS system.
Responsibilities: Position provides instruction and support in the curriculum areas for which employed; make appropriate use of instructional resources and technologies. Implement the goals and objectives of the District and the school and/or program for which employed. Maintain contact and communications wit parents of students and work with them in the development of each student. The instructor will design, deliver and assess curriculum according to the district guidelines. The teacher must be willing to participate in building leadership activities and be a team player.
Required Qualifications: Valid Minnesota teaching license in appropriate field.
- Considerable knowledge of the curriculum areas the teacher is responsible for instructing.
- Considerable knowledge of educational philosophy, teaching methods and approaches, current researched best practices and strategies. Strong understanding of differentiation, ELL teaching strategies, and co-teaching models highly desired.
- Considerable knowledge of students' learning styles and needs, both academic and affective.
- Considerable knowledge of multicultural, gender and disability fair curriculum concepts.
Working knowledge of instructional technologies.
- Considerable skill in classroom management and organization.
- Ability to effectively facilitate and/or participate in team meetings and parent meetings.
- Strong communication skills both written and verbal.