Job Objective: Performs custodial duties to protect and preserve buildings, grounds, equipment, and furnishings.
Minimum · High school diploma. Post-secondary training in a trade is desirable.
Qualifications: · Meets all mandated health requirements (e.g., a negative tuberculosis test, etc.).
· A record free of criminal violations that would prohibit public school employment.
· Complies with drug-free workplace rules and board policies.
· Keeps current with technology and other workplace innovations that support job functions.
· Skill/experience in boiler operations, preventive maintenance, and basic repair procedures.
· Knowledge about building systems (e.g., HVAC, fire suppression, security, communication, etc.).
· Ability to read, understand, and comply with Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS).
· Holds or is qualified to obtain a pesticide application license if needed.
· Additional training and work experience deemed essential by the board of education and administration at the time of hire.
Essential The following are typical work responsibilities. A reasonable accommodation may be made to
Functions: enable a qualified individual with a disability to perform essential functions.
· Performs custodial duties. Takes the initiative to perform routine tasks independently.
· Keeps the supervisor of buildings and grounds and/or head custodian informed about emerging issues.
· Upholds board policies and follows administrative guidelines/procedures. Promotes a professional image of the school district. Supports community partnerships that enhance district programs.
· Promotes effective communications and assistance. Uses problem-solving techniques to tactfully address questions/concerns. Refers policy interpretation inquiries to administrative staff.
· Provides for the regular and orderly removal of trash. Washes, strips, and waxes floors. Sanitizes and re-supplies toilet rooms. Cleans furniture, fixtures, walls, and windows.
· Anticipates and replenishes consumable supplies to avoid work schedule interruptions. Helps with the receipt of deliveries. Inspects packages. Verifies quantities. Complies with safety and environmental regulations. Ensures that supplies are labeled and stored safely.
· Cleans, moves, and arranges furnishings, supplies, and equipment as directed.
· Performs minor repairs. Avoids disrupting building activities except during emergencies.
· Deals with unexpected situations (e.g., accidents, equipment failure, etc.). Follows approved safety procedures to clean up injuries involving chemicals, solvents, blood, body fluids and/or body tissues. Participates in occupational safety and health training programs as directed.
· Monitors, regulates, and inspects HVAC equipment as directed. Helps prepare boilers and other equipment for annual inspections, maintenance activities, and/or shutdown.
· Performs routine grounds keeping activities (e.g., mows grass, trims trees/shrubs, etc.).
· Maintains playground areas and equipment as directed.
· Assists with snow removal operations as directed.
· Performs routine preventive maintenance activities (e.g., lubricates moving parts, replaces filters, cleans equipment, adjusts/replaces belts, changes oil, prepares items for storage, etc.).
· Documents all injuries that require medical attention.
· Prepares and submits reports, records, and inventories as directed.
· Picks-up and delivers equipment, materials, and other supplies as directed.
· Checks daily schedule to find out if a school activity requires preparation or clean up.
· Assists other staff as needed to deal with unexpected or urgent situations.
· Monitors building conditions. Reports suspected problems and/or unsafe conditions (e.g., unusual odors, discolorations, noises, leaks, etc.).
· Anticipates and prepares for fire, health, and safety inspections. Monitors safety equipment (e.g., electrical, lighting, alarm systems, etc.) as directed. Maintains clear routes for emergency egress.
· Takes appropriate action to protect district property. Ensures that assigned buildings and job sites are secured at the end of the day. Responds to emergencies as needed.
· Helps manage district security. Assists rental groups as directed. Directs visitors to the office.
· Reports discipline problems, vandalism, graffiti, equipment malfunctions, and other related concerns.
· Takes precautions to ensure safety. Monitors situations that may indicate a problem. Works with staff to manage or eliminate risk factors.
· Respects personal privacy. Maintains the confidentiality of privileged information.
· Reports suspected child abuse and/or neglect to civil authorities as required by law.
· Participates in staff meetings and professional growth opportunities as directed.
· Strives to develop rapport and serves as a positive role model for others.
· Maintains a professional appearance. Wears work attire appropriate for the position.
· Performs other specific job-related duties as directed.
Abilities The following personal characteristics and skills are important for the successful performance
Required: of assigned duties.
· Acknowledges personal accountability for decisions and conduct.
· Demonstrates professionalism and contributes to a positive work/learning environment.
· Effectively uses listening, observation, reading, verbal, nonverbal, and writing skills.
· Maintains an acceptable attendance record and is punctual.
· Performs duties efficiently with limited supervision. Meets deadlines despite time constraints.
· Prepares accurate and timely paperwork. Verifies and correctly enters data.
· Reacts productively to interruptions and changing conditions.
Working Employees are expected to comply with health/safety laws and district policies/procedures.
Conditions: Workers should exercise good judgment and caution when involved in the following situations.
· Balancing, bending, climbing, crouching, kneeling, reaching, and/or standing.
· Exposure to adverse weather conditions and temperature extremes.
· Exposure to air-borne particulates, chemical irritants, combustible materials, electrical hazards, equipment vibrations, noises, and odors. Exposure to wet and/or slippery surfaces.
· Exposure to blood-borne pathogens and communicable diseases.
· Interactions with aggressive, disruptive, and/or unruly individuals.
· Operating and/or riding in a vehicle.
· Lifting, carrying, and moving work-related supplies/equipment.
· Traveling to meetings and work assignments.
· Working at various heights, in confined spaces, and/or in variable/diminished lighting.
· Working in proximity to moving mechanical parts.