Windows System Administrator
DATE: May 23, 2012
DEPARTMENT: Technology Services
SUPERVISOR: Technology Services Coordinator
The Windows System Administration is responsible for the installation and maintenance of Microsoft Windows based servers and server based applications. The Windows System Administrator works closely with the Desktop and Network Administrators to ensure compatibility between various applications and configurations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Evaluate software and hardware to ensure compatibility with existing systems.
- Deployment and maintenance of both physical (Cisco UCS/Dell) and virtual systems.
- Deployment and maintenance of enterprise applications including MS Exchange and SQL.
- Administer and maintain virtual desktops and applications using XenApp/XenDesktop.
- Maintain data replication for offsite disaster recovery.
- Maintain and ensure availability of server based network services (DHCP/DNS).
- Work with IS staff to ensure functionality of student information system and business applications.
- Maintain software inventory and audit as necessary to insure licensing compliance.
- Create procedures and policies to ensure maximum system and application availability.
- Create and deploy patching policies for managed systems.
- Monitor system performance and availability.
- Assist with creation and deployment of group policy.
- Provide necessary training to technical staff on applications and systems.
- Track and follow-up on technical requests that have been forwarded and provide site assistance when necessary.
- Perform user, computer, and printer administration using directory services.
- Provide documentation of procedures, settings and applications.
- Provide input into the development and revision of district technology policies and procedures and ensure they are adhered to.
- Coordinates and communicates tasks and activities with district help desk.
- Attends training programs at the direction of supervisor.
- Contact supervisor in an emergency and provide any assistance and time necessary to manage the situation.
- Assumes any other duties as may from time to time be delegated by the supervisor and the supervisor may make any adjustment in the scope of responsibilities as outlined above which will be in the interest of the school district.
- All administrative actions must be in concert with the mission statement, beliefs, objectives, and parameters found in the strategic plan of the Rockford Board of education.
4+ years successful experience in a virtualized environment dealing with Microsoft Windows Servers and Hyper-V.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Extensive knowledge of server operating systems (Windows 2003/2008/2008R2).
- Extensive knowledge of various enterprise applications including Microsoft Exchange, Microsoft SQL and Citrix XenApp/XenDesktop.
- Knowledge of Windows desktop operating systems (XP/7).
- Knowledge of iSCSI storage (SAN).
- Knowledge of backup products and procedures including data replication strategies.
- Knowledge of mobile device operating systems.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Excellent organizational skills.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required.
Applicants for this position do not have to complete the vacancy form to apply for this position.