- Performs custodial maintenance and cleaning within the school building.
- Supervises the work of others assigned to the custodial staff at the school.
- Serves as the Head Custodian in an elementary school or may serve as lead custodian for the evening shift at a middle or high school.
Orders and maintains an adequate inventory
Performs minor repairs as may be required
Performs other duties as assigned by the appropriate administrator
- Performs work necessary to maintain the building and ground in an acceptable condition
- Prioritizes and assigns work for self and other custodial staff
- Instructs workers in the proper used of supplies and equipment
- Cleans light fixtures, windows, walls, furniture and blinds
- Utilizes various equipment for scrubbing, buffing and waxing floors
- Prepares for and cleans up after events scheduled in the school building during the day and/or at night
- Operates carpet cleaning and maintenance equipment
- Performs all procedures involved in: (a)shutting off the electrical power, water, and gas main to the building, (b) Igniting pilot light on kitchen appliances and the boiler
- Leads other custodial staff in the absence of the Building Custodian III at the middle or high school level
- High School Diploma or GED required
Knowledge of cleaning methods, supplies, and appropriate use of supplies and equipment
Ability to operate various equipment used for cleaning floors and carpets
Ability to operate heating and ventilating equipment
Ability to lead other custodial staff as assigned
Must be able to understand and follow directions both written and verbal
- Typically requires climbing ladders; pushing and/or pulling
- Must have sufficient strength and manual dexterity to operate equipment used to clean floors and carpets
- Must be able to lift, push, and or pull in excess of 50 pounds
- Must be able to stand, crouch, and climb to use ladders and perform various types of manual labor
- Minimum of 3 years custodial experience required
It is the policy of the Fulton County School System not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, or disability in any employment practice, educational program, or any other program, activity, or service. If you wish to make a complaint or request accommodation or modification due to discrimination in any program, activity, or service, contact Compliance Coordinator Ron Wade, 786 Cleveland Avenue, S.W., Atlanta, Georgia 30315, or phone 404-763-4585. TTY 1-800-255-0135.