Supervisor of Bilingual-Multicultural Education
JOB CODE: 2105
DEPARTMENT: Department of Academics/Curriculum
SUPERVISOR: Director of Bilingual Services
DATE: November 1, 2010
Provides daily direction and guidance in the area of bilingual and ESL to bilingual-bicultural staff and other school personnel for the purpose of developing, implementing and maintaining an effective education program for limited English proficient students. Assumes leadership in secondary bilingual (TBE/TPI) curriculum development, revision and review, supports teachers as they implement new instructional strategies, and analyzes achievement data.
Staff – appropriately certified per program and grade level(s). Transitional Bilingual Certification.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Organizes, implements, and evaluates bilingual programs and English as a Second Language Services (ESL) in accordance with approved local, state and federal rules and regulations.
2. Consults with principals of schools in which bilingual programs and ESL services operate in order to effect coordination between the support service program(s) and the regular school program.
3. Reviews and evaluates, in cooperation with the building principal, the bilingual staff, pupils, plan of program operation, course of study, equipment and materials in terms of program objectives and recommend changes where necessary.
4. Assesses need for and provides in-service training for professional and paraprofessional staff directly impacted by bilingual programs and ESL services.
5. Conducts curriculum review, revision and necessary changes for secondary bilingual curriculum innovations through District approved procedures (Curriculum Committee work and Instructional Council).
6. Reviews instructional material and makes recommendations for change through involvement of instructional staff.
7. Works with consultants and specialists to assist in incorporating their recommendation in District bilingual curriculum.
8. Coordinate program and activities which heightens awareness of multi-cultural education and equity issues in terms of curriculum instruction.
9. Coordinates student leadership and recognition initiatives.
10. Assumes any other duties as may from time to time be delegated by the supervisor and the supervisor may make any adjustment in the scope of responsibilities as outlined above which will be in the interest of the school district.
11. All actions must be in concert with the mission statement, beliefs, objectives and parameters found in the strategic plan of the Rockford Board of Education.
Type 75, Bilingual (Spanish/English), 03 and 09 with Bilingual/ESL approval required. Teaching and administrative experience in a state approved TBE/TPI program preferred.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required.
LENGTH OF WORK YEAR: 12 months
You do not have to complete a vacancy form for this position