POSITION: Instructional Assistant-Student Services (WHS) - Grade 4 37.5 hrs. Eff. 8/22/2012
ASSIGNMENT: 10 Month
GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES: This work involves close interaction with staff, students and parents/guardians, with the primary emphasis on the implementation of specialized or vocational educational programs. An Instructional Assistant works under the direction of a certified teacher. An employee in this position is expected to exercise independent judgment, discretion, a high degree of confidentiality and react appropriately in crisis situations as well as exhibit initiative, creativity and organizational skills.
- Must have or obtain State and NCLB Approved Paraprofessional designation in accordance with ISBE requirements.
- Must demonstrate appropriate interpersonal skills.
- Must project a positive image of the district to the public, parents, staff and students as well as exhibit a good employee attitude.
- Must move around in the classroom and other parts of the building as well as on field trips as needed.
- Must have previous experience working with youth.
- Must have ability to adapt to all subject areas.
- Must have knowledge of computer operations.
- May need a valid driver's license.
- Must be able to lift up 50 lbs such as with students needing assistance.
1. Assists students under the direction of certified staff by:
a. tutoring students
b. implementing classroom procedures and reinforcing student's positive behavior
c. administering tests orally to students
d. reinforcing organizational and note taking skills
e. grading materials for immediate feedback
f. demonstrating use of the computer for both drill and remediation as well as homework assignments
g. helping the student achieve his/her IEP goals
h. assisting, as needed, with students’ non-medical physical needs or personal care/toileting needs
2. Assists certified staff by:
a. helping organize and supervise off-campus programs for students
b. performing classroom related clerical tasks
c. assisting with lab set-up and clean up
d. explaining classroom procedures and materials to substitute teacher when necessary
e. previewing instructional materials
f. acting as a liaison to communicate student progress
Click on the orange "APPLY" button above to begin an online application.
"An equal employment and equal education opportunity agency."