SUMMARY: Responsible for providing assistance to the Principal in the administration of the total school program.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Serve as administrative head of the school in the absence of the principal;
2. Administer a program of student discipline and interact with students to encourage positive performance;
3. Assist with staff evaluation;
4. Manage building staff, including class schedules and building problems;
5. Supervise staff attendance and assignment of substitute teachers;
6. Assist with coordinating the development of the master teaching schedule;
7. Provide general supervision to students;
8. Supervises extra-curricular activities and athletics;
9. Maintain relationship with parents and community;
10. Assist with all content level instructional programs;
11. Have working knowledge of Macintosh computer hardware.
12. Other duties may be assigned.
Supervises employees in the Middle School when the Principal is absent from the building. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- A valid Michigan continuing or permanent teaching certificate.
- Master’s Degree or higher in Education or School Administration is preferred.
- Middle School endorsement or specific course work related to Middle School or valid administrative certificate.
- At least five (5) years successful experience in teaching and/or supervision preferred.
- Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Board may find appropriate and acceptable.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence and educational materials. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of administrators, staff and the general public.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to apply concepts and calculate basic mathematical skills on a regular basis.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demand described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms and stoop, kneel or crouch. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and the ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level of this environment is quite to loud depending upon the activity in the particular part of the day.