TITLE: RESOURCE ROOM PROGRAM ASSISTANT (CI/ASD) – 2 Positions Open
JOB GOAL(S): The overall job goal of the Program Assistant for BGLC Resource Room is to work with the classroom teacher in carrying out the instructional program for each student in the assigned class.
Education: Associates degree required
Certification: Work Keys Certificate required
Work Experience: Two years experience as a program assistant or specialized training (TCI/CPI) preferred.
Skills: *Ability to work with students with low ability and deficits in language/comprehension, daily living skills, and all academic areas
*Ability to implement consistent child management skills
*Possess good communication, teamwork and interpersonal skills
*Ability to work as a member of a team providing a coordinated and consistent behavior modification program
*Ability to maintain open communication channels with teachers and staff and keep them informed of program and student concerns/observations
*Willingness to take directions and follow-through with teacher and team decisions
*Willingness to function on a team providing education to students with severe cognitive deficits
*Possess physical strength
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Assist certain students with personal needs (i.e., toileting, dressing, etc.).
2. Deliver student(s) safely from bus to classroom and from the classroom back to the bus.
3. Assist in classroom preparation for instruction of assigned students.
4. Assist in instruction of assigned students.
5. Attend meetings and in-services as requested by the principal.
6. Assist in development and implementation of individualized instructional programs.
7. Attend required meetings providing input relative to students’ instructional programs.
8. Maintain classroom discipline through a cooperative effort with the teacher in consistently implementing behavioral management programming.
9. Administer specialized medical procedures to student as trained by nurse.
10. Accompany students to settings outside the classroom.
11. Adhere to Van Buren ISD policies and procedures.
12. Complete assigned responsibilities within agreed upon or established time lines.
13. Perform other duties as assigned by the Learning Center Principal.
Please note: this is not a typical resource room, students have cognitive impairments (CI) and autism spectrum disorder (ASD).