New Tech High School
WESTWOOD COMMUNITY SCHOOL DISTRICT
TITLE: High School Teacher
QUALIFICATIONS: Valid Michigan Teaching Certificate
REPORTS TO: Principal
STARTING DATE: Fall 2012
SALARY: Per Contract
NEEDED: Math/Science Teacher – DX & EX Endorsements
- The most successful staff members at New Tech High School could be classified as "Frustrated reformers." They have worked in traditional educational environments and have been frustrated with the pace of meaningful reform. They are usually recognized as leaders in their school and demonstrate an ability to take calculated risks. They must be able to work in a collaborative environment and are always willing to learn new skills or revamp their curriculum.
- To help students learn subject matter and skills at appropriate levels that will contribute to their development as mature, capable, and responsible individuals.
- Deep understanding of multi-disciplinary project-based learning and experienced in engaging studentsin hands-on learning while maintaining academic rigor
- Skilled in interdisciplinary planning, collaborative, and able to work well with a wide range ofconstituents (colleagues, parents, students, board members, etc.)
- Able to teach diverse learners and well-versed in instructional strategies for serving students ofdifferent skill levels in the same classroom
- Organized, reflective, participatory, and punctual
- Deep understanding of data-driven decision making and formative assessment used to plan and modify instructional practices
- Experienced in integrating technology into their teaching (i.e., is able to maintain a digital portfoliowith course syllabi and other relevant materials) and can support student learning using technology
- Deep understanding and use of Critical Friends Group protocols and Professional Learning Community interactions in the collaboration and planning process.
1. Project-Based Learning
2. Data Teams
3. Critical Friends Groups
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
Teachers will need to be highly qualified in their endorsement area, be proficient in the use of technology, and work well with colleagues to meet the needs of our school and our students. In addition, staff will be responsible for the following:
- Strive to engage students while maintaining rigor
- Develop engaging, creative, and appropriate assignments and resources
- Employ a variety of instructional strategies and media which meets students’ needs andabilities
- Has students making, building, doing, and presenting/talking about their work
- Sponsors students' field-based experiences and competitions
- Model and participate in the learning expectations that students are accomplishing
- Develop appropriate relationships with students and colleagues
- Develop interdisciplinary curriculum across the core and electives team
- Be open-minded and participative in all aspects of the school
- Take time to get to know each other, encourage networking, collegiality, mutual support, and deep individual and collective reflection among the staff.
- Work closely with the building Director to collaboratively lead the school
- Strive to teach to the diversity of students in the classroom
- Personalize instruction
- Support struggling students and challenge strong students
- Set the expectation that all students participate in all classroom activities
- Be role models for student regarding life-long learning, student achievement, and professional behavior
- Maintain accurate, complete and confidential records as required by law, district policy, andadministrative requirements
- Assess student performance on a regular basis and provide frequent feedback & progressreports in accordance with district policies
- Refer students with special needs to the appropriate district specialists and participate on committees related to individualized student planning
- Take all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, self, equipment, materials, andfacilities in order to provide a safe learning environment.
- Maintain and improve competence through participation in professional development.
- Maintain focused work to integrate parents and community partners into coursework and the school environment
- Provide a thorough syllabus at the beginning of the year and maintain an up-to-date website
- Promptly respond to parents’ questions and concerns
- Encourage parent participation
- Provide meaningful, personalized comments.
- Act as an advisor for a group of students by planning and facilitating regularly scheduled meetings
- Act as the primary advocate for the student, both socially and academically
- Support student recruitment, community outreach, and partnership creation
- Attend all required meetings and serve on committees as requested.
- Teachers are required to attend the New Tech Training. Meals and travel expenses will be provided.
- Teachers are required to attend the New Tech All Schools Training each subsequent summer and all planning sessions scheduled by the principal.