FALL RIVER PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Superintendent of Schools announces the following position within
the Fall River Public Schools:
: SOCIAL SCIENCE / HISTORY TEACHER
1. Appropriate Massachusetts
2. At least two years successful
classroom teaching experience.
3. A bachelor's degree with a major
in history or one of the social studies.
Department Head and School Principal
To develop in
each pupil an appreciation of American ideals and cultural
heritage; to develop proficiency in the use of social studies
inquiry skills and concepts; to motivate each pupil to understand
and exercise his rights, privileges, and responsibilities as a
citizen; to develop understanding of the geographical,
historical, cultural, and political factors which influence the
development of world regions; to encourage pupils to develop
sound opinions based on study of facts concerning operation of
political and economic systems.
1. Teaches courses in social
studies, history, geography, American Government, political
science, or humanities to pupils utilizing course of study
adopted by the school department and other appropriate learning
2. Instructs pupils in citizenship
and basic subject matter specified in state law and
administrative regulations and procedures of the school
3. Develops a balanced social
studies program involving factual background material, material
on current events, discussion time, and other appropriate
activities designed to encourage pupils to develop skills and
attitudes, draw conclusions, achieve improved interpersonal
relationships, and make value judgments based on scientific
methods of inquiry.
4. Provides individual and
small-group instruction in order to adapt the curriculum to the
needs of pupils with varying intellectual abilities, attitudes,
and cultural backgrounds.
5. Develops knowledge of the
purpose, structure, and operation of the American government and
economic system, and the rights and responsibilities of American
6. Makes current material from the
mass media available to pupils; plans and guides discussions of
current problems against background of geographical environment
and history of area being studied.
7. Develops an understanding of the
contributions of racial, religious, and political groups to
8. Develops knowledge of political
and economic systems of other nations and their influence on
personal freedom, education, and living standards of the
9. Encourages pupils to become
aware of the complexity and interrelations of local, state,
national and world problems.
10. Maintains standards of pupil behavior to provide an orderly,
productive classroom environment.
11. Maintains professional competence through in-service
education provided by the school department and/or in
self-selected professional growth activities.
12. Participates cooperatively with the principal and department
head to develop the method by which he/she will be evaluated in
conformance with school department guidelines.
13. Selects and requisitions books and instructional aids and
maintains required inventory records; may request resource
speakers and field trips.
14. Communicates with parents and school counselors to discuss
15. Identifies pupil needs and cooperates with other professional
staff members in helping pupils solve health, attitude, and
16. Supervises pupils in out-of-classroom activities during the
assigned work day.
17. Participates in curriculum and other developmental
18. Participates in faculty committees and sponsorship of pupil
SALARY AND TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
In accordance with the Fall River Educators' Association
contract. Continued employment is contingent on work
performance, program need, and funding.
Closing Date for
Applications: As indicated on webpage
The Fall River Public
Schools offers all programs, activities, and employment
opportunities without regard to race, color, sex, religion,
sexual orientation, and