FALL RIVER PUBLIC SCHOOLS
FALL RIVER, MASSACHUSETTS
TEACHER- MIDDLE SCHOOL
Degree with major or minor in Science preferred.
To develop in each pupil an awareness of the role of science in
economic and social progress; to motivate each pupil to acquire
knowledge of scientific facts and principles and skills in
scientific methods of problem-solving; to discover and develop
special talents of pupils in scientific fields.
1. Teaches skills, knowledge, and scientific
attitudes through courses in general science, earth sciences,
biology, chemistry, physics, physiology, or science problems to
secondary pupils, utilizing course of study adopted by the School
Committee and other appropriate learning activities.
2. Plans a science program involving
demonstrations, lectures, discussion, and student experiments;
organizes laboratory activities for optimum learning.
3. Demonstrates scientific concepts by use of
scientific apparatus, experiments, and standard or
teacher-prepared charts, sketches, and other instructional
4. Provides individual or small group
instruction in order to adapt the curriculum to the needs of
pupils and to accommodate circumstances where a variety of
projects and experiments are being worked on simultaneously.
5. Instructs pupils in proper use, care, and
safe handling of chemicals, science equipment, and plant and
6. Provides for safe storage and proper use of
materials, equipment, and tools. Makes minor adjustments
and requests repairs to equipment as required.
7. Establishes and maintains standards of pupil
behavior for a productive learning environment during class
laboratory sessions, and field trips.
8. Evaluates each pupil's growth in knowledge,
skills, and scientific attitudes in course being taught.
9. Maintains professional competence through
in-service education activities provided
by the school department and/or in
self-selected professional growth activities.
10. Identifies pupils' needs, and cooperates with other
professional staff members in helping pupils solve health,
attitude, and learning problems.
11. Participates in curriculum and other developmental
12. Assists pupils in selection and
development of individual research projects.
13. Cooperates with school administration
in providing science displays and programs for the school and
community, and in sponsoring science activities.
14. Communicates with parents and school
counselors on pupil progress.
15. All other responsibilities that are listed in the
collective bargaining agreement between the Fall River Educators'
Association and the Fall River School Committee.
16. Teaches courses in science to pupils utilizing course
of study adopted by the School Committee, and appropriate
curriculum publications as guidelines in teaching individual
17. Demonstrates science concepts using models, chalkboard,
overhead projector, and other standard or teacher-prepared
18. Evaluates each pupil's progress in science knowledge
19. Communicates with parents to interpret contemporary
methods in teaching science, and with parents and school
counselors to discuss the individual pupil's progress
SALARY AND TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
In accordance with the Fall River Educators' Association
contract. Employment is contingent upon job performance,
program needs, and funding.
The Fall River Public
Schools offers all programs, activities, and employment
opportunities without regard to race, color, sex, religion,
sexual orientation, and