· Bachelor’s Degree in Education
· Valid Texas teaching certificate with a concentration in science
· A minimum of five years successful classroom teaching experience in science at the elementary and/or middle school level
- Master’s Degree
- Science Specialist
- Experience in working with elementary and/or middle school students
- Experience as campus science specialist or coach
- Experience in working with second language learners
This position requires incumbent to be knowledgeable in science curriculum, assessment, and instruction. Incumbent should have experience in urban schools with diverse student populations and must have experience developing and providing professional development for adult learners. Incumbent should be detail-oriented and able to manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously. Incumbent must have excellent written and oral communication skills, demonstrate proficiency with technology (Power Point, Microsoft Word, Excel), be able to guide and lead other professionals, and work cooperatively with others.
JOB PURPOSE AND RESPONSIBILITY:
As a member of the Area 1 Team under the direction of the Associate Superintendent for Area 1 Schools, the Science Specialist’s primary responsibility would be to provide on-site coaching and job-embedded professional development to teachers. Coaching and job-embedded professional development would address teacher content area knowledge, best practices for delivering rigorous, aligned and targeted instruction, formative and summative assessment to identify student misconceptions, measure student progress and inform instruction, data analysis and interventions.
· Assist schools in curriculum implementation and alignment to TEKS/SEs, academic needs assessments and program evaluations.
· Provide instructional leadership and support to students, teachers, and administrators.
· Participate in instructional planning sessions with campus curriculum specialists, and/or grade level teams.
· Assist campuses with data analysis and the development of action plans in response to the data.
· Conduct professional development for groups of campuses.
· Assist teachers with selecting and modifying instructional materials to ensure alignment with TEKS/SEs and to address individual student needs effectively.
· Conduct demonstration lessons.
· Observe classroom instruction and provide feedback.
· Participate in campus walks with campus leadership teams and Area 1 team members.
· Ensure compliance with federal, state, local and district policies, rules and regulations.
· Disseminate information on current trends and research in science and urban education.
· Encourage teacher participation in workshops and conferences.
OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED:
Perform other related duties as assigned; however, all employees are expected to comply with lawful directives in rare situations driven by need where a team effort is required.
PHYSICAL EFFORT AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Work is usually performed in a normal office setting or classroom with no unusual physical demands or exposure to hazardous situations. This position may involve possible exposure to blood or body fluids. Regular attendance is required for this position.
PERSONAL WORK RELATIONSHIPS:
This position reports directly to the Associate Superintendent for Area 1 Schools. Incumbent will have regular contact with Area 1 team members, campus administrators, teachers, students and parents.
Pay Grade: P8
Duty Days: 230 days
Salary: $55,573 + experience