PARAEDUCATOR - HEAD START
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Work with individual students or small groups of students under the supervision of a certified teacher or assistant teacher to reinforce learning of materials or skills initially introduced by the teacher.
· Administer, score and record achievements and diagnostic tests, under the direction of the teacher or assistant teacher for individual students or groups of students.
· Assist the teacher or assistant teacher in devising special strategies for reinforcing material or skills based on a sympathetic understanding of individual students, their needs, interests and abilities.
· Assist the teacher or assistant teacher in the handling, operation and care of equipment, used in the classroom, including media, and instructional materials.
· Assist with the supervision of students during emergency drills, assemblies, play periods, field trips and in other non-classroom activities.
· Check notebooks, correct papers and supervise testing and make-up work, as assigned by the teacher or assistant teacher.
· Assist the teacher with non-instructional duties, such as snack, toilet and clothing routines.
· Serve as the chief source of information and help to any substitute teacher assigned in the absence of the regular teacher.
· Assist the teacher or assistant teacher in drill work, large group reading or storytelling.
· Alert the regular teacher or assistant teacher regarding any problem or special information related to an individual student.
· Perform clerical duties as assigned by the teacher or assistant teacher as needed.
· Maintain the same high level of ethnical behavior and sensitivity of information about students as is expected of a certified teacher or assistant teacher.
· Participate in in-service training programs, as assigned.
· Attend monthly parent/teacher meetings and presents developmentally appropriate parent and child activities to be done at home.
· Encourage parent volunteers in the classroom; oversees their participation in classroom activities.
· Obtain and maintain parent input into curriculum planning through classroom activities.
· Maintain awareness of student health problems and makes referrals for care to health coordinator.
· Assist in meeting appropriate goals of PPT of special needs children.
· Make at least two home visits per year.
· Conferences with Social Service worker weekly.
· Attend case study when necessary to discuss children.
· Performs para related duties as appropriate for the position.
SKILLS, ABILITIES & Qualifications:
· Must meet NCLB Para compliance requirements, as applicable.
· Experience/training in working with children.
· Such additions and alternatives to the above qualifications as may be appropriate and acceptable.
· Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions effectively.
· Exhibits good judgment, patience, tact and courtesy.
· Physical condition commensurate with the demands of, at a minimum, the essential functions of the position.
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ON-LINE AT www.danbury.k12.ct.us (job listings)