Under the direct supervision of the assigned special and general education teachers, the Special Education Aide will support students and staff. The primary focus will be to assist and enhance the educational process of students with disabilities in both instructional and non-instructional activities.
The State of Illinois requires Special Education Aides to have one of the following:
1. Letter of paraprofessional approval from the State of Illinois, OR
2. Current Illinois Teaching, School Service Personnel, or Administrative Certificate, OR
3. Current Illinois Substitute Teaching Certificate, OR
4. Current Illinois Provisional Vocational Certificate
Information on obtaining a letter of paraprofessional approval can be obtained through the following link to the DuPage County Regional Office of Education: http://www.dupage.k12.il.us/educators/services/paraprofessional.shtml
ADDITIONAL JOB QUALIFICATIONS:
- Have the ability to work effectively with children
- Focused on the needs of students, staff and district
- Have the ability to communicate effectively with others
- Ability to accept directions from others
- Advanced problem solving skills
- Have the ability to function within the framework of the school environment (class periods, bell schedules etc.)
- Ability to apply physical management techniques, crisis prevention
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform duties under the direct supervision of the assigned special and general education teachers.
- Assist students with activities as directed by the teacher. The special education assistant may assist individual students as well as groups of students in the classroom, as well as accompanying student(s) to recess and lunch as needed.
- Assist and support the student’s instructional process as planned by the teacher, gather and record data.
- Communicate the student’s progress and/or needs in any classroom.
- Reinforce information following a lesson.
- Support and implement the discipline philosophy of the school, as well as disciplinary procedures designed for individual students.
- Maintain confidentiality regarding students.
- Maintain positive relationships with all students, school staff and parents.
- Adhere to policies and procedures set forth by each individual school for schedules, break time, lunch time and duty.