Position: Assistant Speech and Debate Coach
Coaches are needed in the following events:
Public Forum Debate
Lincoln Douglas Debate
Location: Winnetka Campus, includes local and national travel
Assignment: September – June; 180 – 240 direct student contact hours
Compensation: Category C Stipend, not less than $6,302
Paid in 3 installments in November, February, and May
Reports to: Head Coach, Speech and Theatre Department Chair
1. Experience as speech and debate instructor/participant.
2. Ability to guide and develop student growth in the areas of performance, research, and competitive strategy, under the direction of Head Coach(es).
3. Good judgment and maturity in meeting job expectations.
4. Ability to communicate effectively and collaboratively.
1. Direct Student Contact (Primary responsibilities of the Assistant Coaches)
a. Deliver after school face-to-face coaching under the direction of Head Coach(es.)
b. Attend and provide supervision, transportation, judging, and coaching at assigned local, regional, and national tournaments.
c. Develop student skills in argumentation, interpretation, and presentation.
d. Guide students all experience and ability levels.
e. Guide student research and produce evidence with students.
f. Provide students with critical feedback.
g. Model and hold students accountable for team philosophy and integrity.
h. Assist with hosting responsibilities at New Trier tournaments.
i. Mentor veteran competitors in coaching less experienced students.
2. Other duties (Secondary responsibilities of the Assistant Coaches)
a. Report monthly student contact hours.
b. Submit receipts and itemized P-Card statements each month.
c. Attend Speech and Debate program meetings as assigned by the Head Coach(es.)
d. Contribute to discussion regarding team and event assignments, tournament attendance and scheduling, and student assessment.
e. Assist Head Coach(es) with administrative tasks, (i.e. complete tournament roster and judging assignments, maintain student records, etc.).
f. Assist Head Coach(es) in the development and implementation of strategies and advancement for each tournament.
g. Assist with tournament judge strikes.
h. Attend meetings as required by tournaments or leagues as assigned by the Head Coach(es)
i. Participate in workshops for coaches and judges and for students as assigned by the Head Coach(es.)
3. Additional responsibilities as assigned by the Department Chair.