Develops and provides direct services, technical assistance, and/or professional development in the area of the second language learners with an emphasis in instructional strategies targeted at language acquisisiton and teacher certification; migrant education and recruitment strategies focusing on unique needs of migrant students.
Bachelors degree in Education required; Master's degree preferred. Teaching certification required. ESL and/or Bilingual Certification preferred.
Ability to develop, coordinate, and deliver professional development, knowledge in program involvement, compliance, and instruction/curriculum. Ability to communicate in Spanish is preferred, but not required.
Three years of classroom teaching experience required; professional development experience preferred; knowledge of a variety of teaching methods and techniques; specific experience with second language learners and migrant families preferred.
ESC Responsiblities/Internal Operations:
1. Actively participates in activities designed to achieve the Region 9 Mission to improve student performance.
2. Works as a team member demonstrating flexibility, assisting other programs'/departments' staff members, and lending support to other ESC staff.
3. During contacts with districts and other agency personnel, speaks positively about the ESC and each individual staff/member.
4. Accepts responsibility for personal professional growth and review of current professional literature.
5. Functions within the policies and administrative procedures of Region 9 ESC.
6. Performs duties as assigned to ensure the effective operation of the ESC and accomplishment of the mission.
7. Ensures that the quality (neat, accurate, & thorough) and quantity (amount of work during a given amount of time) of work meets expectations necessary to fulfill the ESC Mission.
8. Demonstrates dependability and drive in completing work assignments without close supervision.
9. Commits to high attendance and exhibits punctuality.
10. Maintains appropriate records and correspondence.
11. Assists in evaluation of program effectiveness.
12. Coordinates with other ESC Departments/Services.
1. Determines technical assistance and training needs through classroom visitation, interviews, contact with district personnel and other formal needs assessment methods.
2. Assists in identifying the needs of all campuses with an emphasis on targeted/high priority campuses using all available data resources.
3. Provides technical assistance in effective teaching practices, areas of basic skills instruction (TEKS), and classroom management.
4. Provides technical assistance in district/campus improvement planning through site based decision-making process.
5. Provides technical assistance for state and federal programs in application, program improvement and program evaluation.
6. Coordinates services delivered through the Bilingual/ESL services, and federal programs/grants.
7. Assists districts in preparing for PBMAS interventions from the Texas Education Agency.
1. Administers language proficiency assessments for students.
2. Provide quality control for identification process for ESL and Migrant.
3. Identify and recruit migrant families and children.
1. Develops, conducts, and/or coordinates professional development in effective teaching practices, areas of basic skills instruction (TEKS), classroom management, and second language acquisition.
2. Develops, conducts, and/or coordinates professional development in alternative teaching models and strategies for modifying instruction to meet individual needs of diverse learning.
3. Design and produce professional development modules and related materials with an emphasis on the seven areas of focus for migrant education.
Computer, distance learning technology, and other office/training equipment as needed.
Ability to work without close supervision and exercise professional competency, discipline, and integrity; maintian flexibility to manage multiple tasks while meeting critical timelines.
Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Frequent regional travel with overnight statewide travel; occasional prolonged or irregular hours; light to moderate lifting/carring of equipment and materials.