Westwood Community School District
POSITION TITLE: Title 1 Literacy/Math Specialist
Daly Elementary School (K-5)
REPORTS TO: Building Principal
- Valid Michigan Elementary Teacher Certification
Reading (BR or BX) and Math (EX) Endorsements
- Must have recent experience and training to implement the Reading Recovery Program.
- Must meet or exceed requirements specified within NCA Standards for Accreditation and No Child Left Behind
- Minimum of three years’ elementary teaching experience.
- Successful record of teaching experience (based on formal evaluations)
- Knowledgeable in Michigan Grade Level Content Expectations and Common Core Standards with focused and Benchmarks in both Math and Literacy
- Experience in the delivery of differentiated Math and Literacy instruction
- Ability to collaborate with staff members in the area of techniques for teaching Math and Literacy
· Ability to provide professional development for staff members in the areas of literacy, running records, Michigan Literacy Progress Profile (MLPP) Reader’s Workshop, Writer’s Workshops and Mathematics.
- Experience in the development and implementation of a program designed for At-Risk students (i.e. summer school, after school tutoring and/or MEAP prep)
- Experience with Class A to design and analyze assessment data
- Experience with implementing research-based best practices of instructional strategies for students
- Experience with data and how to utilize it to drive instruction
1. Administers assessment to determine student ability and performance level.
2. Collaborates with classroom teachers to determine the students who need the services, and plan individual student support through the use of data.
3. Maintains student data for all students serviced by Literacy/Math Specialist and completes all required federal program reports.
4. Assesses formally and informally all students and disseminates the assessments to teachers and parents (pre- and post-assessment data).
5. Employs instructional methods and materials that are most appropriate for teaching students in the areas of Math and Literacy.
6. Maintains continuous contact with families on their child’s progress through bi-weekly progress reports.
7. Willing to learn, acquire, and apply new skills and knowledge in literacy and math.
8. Attends staff meetings and serves on staff committees as required.
9. Manages allotted learning time to maximize student achievement.
10. Creates original assessment and curriculum products based on state and common core standards.
11. Ability to multi-task: prioritize and organize multiple projects/tasks concurrently while meeting required deadlines and adhering to school procedures.
12. Uses assistive technology in the classroom.
13. PC skills – Working knowledge of all Microsoft Office Applications, Class A and other math, literacy and assessment software utilized by staff and students for learning.
14. Perform other duties as may be assigned by the building principal within the allowable intent of the Title I schoolwide programs.
TERMS OF Ten-month school year. Salary to be according to the current
EMPLOYMENT contract with Wayne County MEA/NEA.