- Current license to practice as a nurse (RN or LPN) in Arizona.
- Recent experience in public health, school nursing, and/or maternal child-health nursing.
- Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Board may find appropriate and acceptable.
The School Nurse gives leadership and guidance in developing and maintaining a total school health program.She/he works with the administration and medical authorities to properly direct and carry out her/his nursing activities.
- Participates in the formulation of policies, standards, and objectives of the school health program.
- Assists in planning the school health budget.
- Keeps the administrators and other school personnel informed about problems and acquaints them with resources of the community.
- Maintains lines of communication with teachers and other school personnel in order that cooperative action will meet the needs of pupils.
- Observes the school environment for safety hazards and sanitary conditions and reports to responsible persons.
- Assists in planning for immunization program if given in the school
- Participates in faculty meetings and in parent meetings.
- Participates in curriculum planning and evaluation in the school and serves as a resource person on the area of health to teachers and other personnel.
- Serves as a member on committees concerned with safety and emotional, mental, physical, and social health.
- Studies and evaluates own job performance and plans for continuing professional growth.
- Serves as a health consultant to school personnel, pupils, and parents.
- Serves as a resource person to school personnel regarding the various aspects of health education and provides or suggests health education materials for classroom use.
- Assumes responsibility for screening procedures such as those for hearing and vision.
- Helps pupils to accept and adjust positively to their physical, mental, and social limitation; helps parents and school personnel to understand and accept children with these limitations.
- Maintains and uses cumulative health records for all pupils.
- Participates in formulating policies for the care of pupils who become ill or who are injured at school.
1. Consults with parents in their homes or at school regarding the health of their children; helps the family accept responsibility for providing care.
Terms of EmploymentRN Salary: $28,027 - $29,165 per year depending on experience
LPN Salary: $17.09 - $17.78 per hour depending on experience