DEPARTMENT CHAIR: Social Studies (.6) & Secondary Teaching (.4)
Reports to: Associate Principal of Instruction
Certification Requirements: 105 Department Chair Certification (105) or (092).
Will consider candidates eligible for DSAP.
Essential Job Functions:
The following articulated roles and responsibilities are conceived of as operating in collaboration with the high school and middle school administrative teams, and the respective district administrator, recognizing that the building principals are the primary supervisor of all certified personnel under his/her administrative jurisdiction.
- Demonstrate outstanding scholarship in subject content areas and provide leadership in expanding content area knowledge and proficiency among departmental staff.
- Provide leadership for the initiation of changes necessary for the improvement of student learning based on data analysis, best practices, and shared beliefs and values about student learning and intellectual development in accord with the Danbury Public Schools Mission Statement.
- Act as a role model for the department by demonstrating a commitment to learning and modeling professionalism and respect for others.
- Conduct department meetings at the high school and middle schools.
Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment:
1. Assist in the development of an assessment system that monitors student learning and analyzes data to ensure that departmental, high school, and middle school educational goals are met.
2. Maintain a current knowledge and understanding of best practices for effective instructional and assessment strategies.
3. Model and mentor best practices including training, technology integration, interdisciplinary instruction, and project based instruction.
4. Facilitate curriculum and assessment implementation, high quality instruction delivery, and identify and share best practices.
Staff Supervision and Development:
1. Mentor non-tenured teachers to facilitate a successful beginning and to ensure that the instructional program is delivered and assessed in a manner consistent with district goals and objectives.
2. Provide coaching support to teachers in the classroom.
3. In collaboration with building administration and the respective district administrator (if applicable), conduct formative observations of department staff, assist in the development of instructional improvement plans, and identify resources to facilitate the professional growth of department staff leading to the implementation of best practices.
4. Assign TEAM mentors, student teachers, and interns.
5. Provide support to Data Teams in the creation of common assessments, analysis of data, and collaborative lesson planning in response to data.
1. Participate in the recruitment, screening, and interviewing process of prospective faculty members.
2. Assist in the determining of teaching assignments for department and in the development of the master schedule.
3. Work with the guidance department in the monitoring of student registration, initial placement and course selection, including review of student/parent requests for course waivers and schedule changes.
4. Monitor and maintain an inventory of equipment, supplies and textbooks.
5. Collect data and monitor department operations including: assessment data; student course enrollment patterns; grading practices and grade distribution; and syllabi.
6. Serve as a communication link between building administration and department members at high school and middle school on a regular basis.
7. Perform such other appropriate duties as may be assigned by the High School Principal.
8. Maintain ongoing and effective communication with parents and community representatives.
· Valid Connecticut teaching certificate in department area(s) (026)
· Minimum of five (5) years successful related teaching experience with diverse learners
· Ability to mentor new teachers
· Experience in providing curriculum leadership and innovation
· Ability to work toward interdisciplinary instruction with other departments
· Proven leadership skills
Apply Online, including required attachments.
Please go on-line at www.danbury.k12.ct.us job listings