Provide support and supervision for students with moderate to severe disabilities in special education and/or general education classes, including modifications of materials, consultation with teachers, direct instruction, life skills training as well as provide personal care / medical assistance as delegated by the School Nurse. Collect data and maintain student records. Must be able to work with difficult and sometimes physical students.
SALARY: Classified Grade E, $11.81 - $13.58 based upon previous job experience, 6 hours per day, Monday – Friday. 9 month position. Eligible for benefits.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Modify materials and academic environment for inclusion of special education students in general education classroom participation with guidance from the general education and special education teachers.
- Assist students with their personal care needs including, toileting, diapering, self care (e.g., brushing teeth, washing face and hands, changing clothes, etc.), eating and tube feeding, transportation and communication.
- Assist students with their physical and/or occupational therapy needs, including positioning, stretching, transitioning and using specialized adaptive equipment.
- Provide direct instruction to students under the direction from the Special Education Teacher or other Related Service Providers in accordance with their Individualized Education Plan (IEP).
- Follow through with prescribed behavior support plans throughout the school, community and during extra-curricular activities, including the monitoring of the playground to ensure safety and security of students.
- Maintain required forms and records as requested by the Special Education Teacher and/or Related Services Providers.
- De-escalate students as needed using approved CPI measures as well as following the prescribed Behavior Intervention Plan.
- Identify and facilitate peer relationships and natural supports (assessments).
- Communicate observations, concerns, activities, and progress with the Special Education Teacher and other therapists and specialists.
- Sanitize classroom and equipment using approved materials.
- Attend trainings as required by Building Principal, Special Education Teacher and/or Director of Special Education.
- Attend student staffings as requested by Special Education Teacher and/or Related Service Providers.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as Behavior Plans, IEP, staff and student handbooks.
- Ability to collect data, write routine reports and simple correspondences.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from general or special education teachers and related services providers.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Must have strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work with disabled students requiring various academic personal care needs.
- Able to work independently, yet able to take directives and follow through.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) skills helpful.
- Must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 100 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move more than 100 pounds.
- Must be able to pass a post offer, pre-employment physical.
- Must be able to pass a Colorado and Federal Bureau of Investigation background check.
· 6 months to 2 years of experience working with students with disabilities preferred but not required.
- CPR and First Aid certification preferred at time of hire or able to obtain within 2 months of hire date.
- Skills in crisis management, flexibility, patience and ability to maintain composure under stressful conditions.
- Valid Colorado driver's license may be required within one month after hire. Training for Small Vehicle required by CDE for transporting students.
REPORTS TO SPECIAL EDUCATION TEACHER AND SCHOOL PRINCIPAL ///// SMOKE FREE ENVIRONMENT ///// DIRECT BANKING REQUIRED ///// AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ///// School District 27J desires to recruit and retain employees who share our commitment to providing outstanding educational services and opportunities to our diverse student population. The District is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, ancestry, religion, creed, national origin, gender, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or veteran status. The District complies with the Civil Rights Act of 1964, related Executive Orders 11246 and 11375, Title IX of the Educational Amendments Act of 1972, Sections 503 and 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Section 402 of the Vietnam Era Veteran's readjustment At of 1974, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967, as amended, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, the Civil Rights Act of 1991, and all civil rights laws of the State of Colorado. Accordingly, equal opportunity of employment shall be extended to all persons and the District shall promote equal opportunity and treatment through fair and equitable hiring practices. The 27J Administration Building is located at 18551 E. 160th Ave., Brighton, CO 80601. ///// Strong bilingual skills, especially in Spanish, are a plus. Experiences working with students from economically diverse backgrounds are sought for many of our positions. All current employees shall be interviewed and considered first. If there are no qualified candidates, then non-employees shall be interviewed and considered.