Job Description - Parent and School Facilitator
I. General Statement
The Parent and School Facilitator reports primarily to the School Family Resource Facilitator. This position leads and supports district and school efforts to engage all families and the entire Stamford community in the education of Stamford children. The Parent and School Facilitator is assigned to support a specific school and its administration in working with families. This position is also responsible for coordinating parent and community engagement efforts with Central Office and the schools.
II. Major Responsibilities
The Parent and School Facilitator:
- Collects and disseminates information regarding resources and events for parents and families in collaboration with the Office of Family and Community Engagement (OFCE).
- Liaises with all community agencies and programs serving families
- Informs parents regarding district expectations for students for each grade
- Facilitates training sessions for parents and coordinates the use of speakers and outside resources.
- Creates and locates available training materials to support parent education
- Encourages and refers parents and caregivers to further their education to promote a literate home environment.
- Promotes respect in the school community for the parents and caregivers as partners in education.
- Responds to requests for technical assistance from educational staff
- Occasionally translates district materials and facilitates requests for additional translation services at school.
- Interprets for families at parent-teacher conferences and other family events
- Husky outreach and enrollment
- Help processing free and reduced lunch application
- Performs other related duties as assigned by the building administrator.
- Meets regularly with School Family Resource Facilitator to plan and review activities.
- Ability to interface with multiple agencies and stakeholders
- Diplomacy skills
- English written and oral communication skills.
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) oral and written skills
- Knowledge of people and processes in their assigned school building
- Some understanding of district and school policies, procedures and personnel policies
- Knowledge of the Stamford community and its many stakeholders
- Child in the Stamford Public Schools
- Understanding of school/family connections
- Organizational skills to facilitate and bring together various stakeholders
- Strong motivational/management skills
- Sensitivity to all ethnic/economic groups
- Flexibility with hours and days
- High School Diploma
IV. Work Year
Thirty-seven (37) weeks during the school year. Ten (10) hours per week; time will be based upon needs of school and families. No work is required during school vacations.
$16.65 per hour.