duties and responsibilities: The High School Counselor will:
1. Register and schedule all students.
2. Make sure that all students records are kept up-to-date.
3. Change schedules for students requesting legitimate changes.
4. Balance class size.
5. Coordinate students entering the Ensweiler Academy.
6. Advise and work with Cooperative Work Program Coordinators.
1. Engage in counseling with individuals who have problems of any nature which
inhibit their ability to learn.
2. Motivate students to seek counseling of their own volition through a creative
and continuous program of orientation to counseling.
3. Counsel with parents regarding problems with students and teachers.
4. Counsel students in vocational and educational objectives.
5. Counsel students regarding personal problems, peers, parents and teachers
(include both individual and small group counseling).
6. Coordinate and/or participate in teacher/parent/student conference.
7. Hold conferences with students who have deficiencies in graduation requirements.
1. Prepare reports for courts and social agencies.
2. Refer students needing services from hearing therapists, doctors, psychologist,
social worker, etc.
3. Attend special education case conferences.
4. Participate in conferences with the Hammond Career Center personnel.
IV. PROFESSIONAL CONSULTATION
1. Meet with teachers regarding individual students and groups of students.
2. Interpret test results for staff.
3. Supply various statistical data for national, state and local reports.
V. TESTS AND SURVEYS
1. Assist in the administering of the cognitive abilities test.
2. Prepare instruction for the administration of the end of course assessments.
3. Interpret and counsel students and parents about test results.
4. Organize and administer the standardized tests.
5. Organize and administer career surveys.</DIR></DIR>
VI. TRANSITIONAL PLANNING
1. Contact various resources and make arrangements for presentations about career opportunities.
2. Coordinate programs between students and the Hammond Career Center.
3. Organize college representatives to visit Calumet High School.
4. Coordinate the implementation and organization of the College Day Program
and Career Day Program.
5. Disseminate information concerning High School Days being held in various
6. Work with college admission officers regarding students’ admission to college.
7. Work with athletic department on athletic scholarships and athletic eligibility.
8. Organize a financial aid night for parents and students.
9. Secure applications for students for college, vocational school, etc.
10. Prepare letters of recommendation.
1. Determine class rank and grade index.
2. Review individual records to ascertain current status in regard to state and local
graduation requirements, college entrance requirements and/or vocational
3. Be responsible for preparation of graduation list.
4. Inform students and parents regarding students who cannot graduate or have
deficiencies requiring additional courses.
5. Coordinate individual student’s testing waiver application.
6. Advise parents and students about testing waiver process.</DIR></DIR>