Purpose of Position:
To provide the fullest possible educational opportunity for each district student by minimizing absence due to illness and creating a climate of health and well-being in district schools, and to serve as a communication link between physician, parent and teacher to ensure the well being of each child.
1. Assumes responsibility for selection and referral of students in need of medical and dental care.
2. Reports to parents, school personnel, physicians, clinics, and other agencies on school medical matters.
3. Maintains up-to-date cumulative health records on all students by reviewing all immunization records, physical forms, registration forms, doctor correspondence and health records for health related information and to determine compliance status according to school code.
4. Observes students on a regular basis to detect health needs.
5. Assumes authority, in the absence of a physician, for the care of a student or staff member who has suffered injury or emergency illness.
6. Visits student homes when necessary.
7. Participates with school staff in developing and implementing total school health program.
8. Contacts homes of children referred by principals.
9. Prepares data for Director of Special Services for reports for the State Board of Education and the State Board of Health.
10. Notifies parents, building principals, superintendent and necessary staff of unfulfilled medical requirements.
11. Tracks and monitors the distribution of updated lists of student health problems.
12. Advises teachers and staff on pertinent health matters of the students with which they work, particularly regarding screening for student health needs including the management of food allergies.
13. Assists school personnel in establishing sanitary conditions in schools.
14. Attends committee meetings and conferences regarding health service.
15. Participates in in-service training programs.
16. Other duties as assigned
1. Employed as needed.
2. Hourly rate: $18.00