- Valid Illinois teacher certification or ACEP recognition.
- Ability to organize and supervise a total
- Successful experience in baseball coaching as an Assistant or Head Coach.
- Substantial knowledge of the technical aspects of the sport and and continuous professional development to examine new theories and procedures pertinent to the field.
REPORTS TO: Athletic Director and Principal
SUPERVISES: Athletes and team assigned. Assumes supervisory control over all athletes in program when such control is needed.
JOB GOAL: To carry out the aims and objectives of the sport program as outlined by the Athletic Director and school administration. To instruct athletes in individual and team fundamentals, strategy and physical training necessary to realize a degree of individual and team success.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Organizational and Communication:
- Has a thorough knowledge of all athletic policies approved by the Board of Education and is responsible for its implementation
- Has knowledge of the existing school district, state and league regulations, implements same consistently.
- Understands the proper administrative line of command and refers all students and parent requests or grievance through proper channels
- Is aware of all public/staff departmental meetings that require attendance
- Maintains discipline and works to increase morale and cooperation within the school sports program and school community
- Communicates effectively with athletes
- Communicates to athletes team rules, responsibilities, and consequences for violations
- Demonstrates enthusiasm for working with student athletes
- Displays concern for all team members
- Develops team morale and rapport
- Disciplines in a firm, fair, and consistent manner
- Shows interest in the academic achievement of athletes
- Encourages athletes to participate in other school sports and activities
- Is punctual
- Is cooperative in sharing facilities
- Demonstrates commitment to the program
- Communicates effectively with parents
- Works cooperatively and communicates effectively with other assistants
Works cooperatively and communicates regularly with the Athletic Director
- Assists the athletic director in scheduling, providing transportation to tournaments and special sport events
- Assists in preparation for scheduled sport events or practices and adheres to scheduled facility times.
- Coordinates program with maintenance and school employees
- Provides documentation to the athletic administrator needed to fulfill state and system requirements concerning physical examinations, parental consent and eligibility
- Provides proper safeguards for maintenance and protection of assigned equipment sites
- Helps supervise the issuance and collection of equipment
- Completes necessary paperwork on time
- Demonstrates care of facilities and equipment
- Ensures full compliance with school, district, conference, and IHSA rules and regulations
- Assists in the organization of awards and recognition programs and pep assemblies
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Provides training rules and other sports specific regulations to each candidate
- Supervises practices, games, locker room and team trips. Takes all necessary measures to safeguard each participant
- Directs students in managers and statisticians
- Implements school conduct code. Delineates due process when the enforcement of discipline is necessary. Contacts parents when a student is alleged to have violated the athletic code
- Uses effective game strategy
- Possesses a working knowledge of basic first aid procedures, treatment, and rehabilitation of injuries
- Demonstrates appropriate knowledge for this level of coaching
- Teaches appropriate fundamentals, skills, and strategies
- Selects and effectively uses team members
- Performance of the team reflects enthusiasm, proper fundamentals, and sportsmanship
- Attends required meetings
- Attends coaching clinics
- Reads current literature
- Evaluates program with staff and makes appropriate changes
- Cooperates with performance evaluation and implements recommendations for improvements