AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Committed to Workforce Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
JOB ID: 1376
October 24, 2012
District Services Building
TYPE OF POSITION:
Monday – Friday, 7:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Hours may vary based on building/program needs
- High School Diploma, or GED
- 1-3 years professional mechanical experience
- 1-3 years diesel maintenance and diagnostic experience
- Class B MN CDL with School Bus and Passenger Endorsements
Excellent organization and project management skills. Strong communication skills including writing, speaking and listening. Ability to work with diverse groups. Skill in team building and collaboration with a demonstrated ability to involve others in work and to inform others of processes, decisions and events.
All Employees of Saint Cloud School District 742 are responsible to support District goals, to work collaboratively and respectfully with diverse populations of staff, students and parents and model and to promote a welcoming working and learning environment. Employees are expected to support and adapt to change and demonstrate commitment to continuous performance improvement. Employees are responsible to establish and maintain effective communication with students, teachers, support staff, colleagues and parents, respect confidential matters, encourage a safe and secure environment throughout the District, and be dependable and accountable in the performance of their work.
The shop mechanic is responsible for maintaining and repairing the district’s school bus, auto and truck fleet. This includes diagnostic and prioritizing repairs. Works with and takes directives from the head shop mechanic, and according to work load and priorities. Works with all shop staff to accomplish mechanical and safety repairs to all district vehicles and maintain a safe work environment.
SALARY: $13.78/hr - $16.97/hr (Salary is subject to negotiated agreement and work experience)
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: November 6, 2012
APPLICATION PROCESS: Please complete the on-line application found on the District’s employment page.
- Performs repairs to District vehicles. Must have diagnostic capability to determine the nature of repairs to be made. It may involve significant heavy lifting and possible exposure to a variety of chemicals. Repairs can include, but not limited to diesel and gas engine repair, tune-ups, brake work, electrical work, starters, alternators, body work and carburetor systems. Disassembles/removes and reassembles/installs engines, transmissions, diesel fuel systems and other major components of vehicles.
- Prioritizes the repairs to be made to vehicles, based on department needs and communicates that with other shop staff. Consults with the head mechanic and transportation supervisor and makes recommendations as to how to most efficiently complete repairs.
- Assists drivers via the radio system when breakdowns occur. Must determine the most safe and efficient way of repairing the vehicle, while ensuring student safety.
- Assists the Head Mechanic is making recommend purchases of necessary shop equipment.
- Maintains shop safety. Makes repairs to shop equipment and maintains tools. Responsible for the safety of others that may be in the shop.
- Drives bus as directed by the Supervisor of Transportation or Transportation Coordinator.
- Frequent: walking, standing, sitting, hearing, talking, and seeing.
Performs other comparable duties of a like or similar nature as assigned.
It is the prerogative of the District to assign staff so as to best meet the needs of the District.