JOB PURPOSE & RESPONSIBILITIES:
This position is responsible for assisting special education teachers in preparation of materials and instruction as well as meeting the physical needs of students with disabilities. Incumbent must exercise judgment in handling student disciplinary problems and in assessing students’ skill levels. All work must be done in accordance with AISD policies and procedures.
• Works with students in instructional and classroom activities at the direction of the
• Supervise and accompany special education students to the office, bus, nurse,
classroom, cafeteria, playground, etc.
• Tutor individual students and help them prepare assignments or explain material they
do not understand.
• Prepares and duplicates instructional materials at the direction of the teacher.
• Laminates materials for classroom use at the direction of the teacher.
• Provide first aid and care for sick children.
• Clean classrooms or eating areas.
This position requires at least 60 college hours or an Associates (or higher) degree from an accredited college or university or have successfully completed ParaEducator course and passed an assessment test offered by Austin Community College or the Education Service Center, Region 13.
Have some experience related to working with students.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
• Have the ability to work with students with physical, emotional and/or intellectual
• Have a basic knowledge of educational behavioral strategies.
• Have knowledge of CPR and other basic first aid techniques.
• Be able to follow oral and written directions and operate a variety of office equipment.
• Be physically able to lift and manipulate students if needed.
DUTY DAYS: 209 Days
SALARY: CT4: $12.203-$15.253/hr
Salary determination will be based on documented experience.
A.I.S.D. employees wanting to be considered for this position should complete an online internal application.
NOTE: Internal applicants must be in their current assignment for a minimum of 135 calendar days to be eligible to submit an internal application.