The Assistant Principal is responsible for assisting the principal in the effective management of programs, personnel, materials, and facilities in order to develop an optimum learning climate for the unique needs of a particular school site. He/she shall assist in the operation of the school in accordance with policies established by the Board of Elementary and Secondary Education of the State of Louisiana, the State Department of Education, and the Board of Education of East Baton Rouge Parish. He/she shall assist in providing an instructional program which is responsive to student needs; while at the same time, addressing the goals and objectives of both the district and the school. The assistant principal shall assist the principal in planning, implementing, monitoring, and evaluating functions of the overall management and leadership of the school. He/she shall be responsible for assisting in the school's operation within the financial limitations of the district and site.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- .Assists in defining the school mission and goals with faculty and staff.
- Communicates effectively and gains support for goals within the school and the community.
- Sets high expectations and performance standards that lead to the attainment of school and district goals.
- Identifies and analyzes relevant information before making decisions or committing resources.
- Assists in providing incentives for both teachers and students to excel.
- Serves as a model of professionalism and communicates educational values.
- Assists in identifying areas for instructional and program development through the collection and interpretation of student and school data.
- Plans and prepares, with teacher input, the master schedule and directs the scheduling of individual students.
- Involves others effectively in the improvement of curriculum and instruction.
- Evaluates the previous year's instructional program.
- Assists in the constructive evaluation of professional and support staff.
- Recommends remedial assistance and dismissal of incompetent and unsatisfactory personnel.
- Coaches, guides, and/or assists teachers in enhancing their instructional effectiveness.
- Engages in and promotes a program of ongoing professional development, including participation in professional organizations.
- Assists in the selection and assignment of appropriate personnel for the effective delivery of the school program.
- Solicits and gives specific and constructive feedback.
- Maintains a positive attitude to enhance the school climate.
- Demonstrates an appreciation for the accomplishments of others.
- Listens actively to others.
- Utilizes clear and meaningful oral and written expression.
- Fosters teamwork and collegiality.
- Delegates and/or accepts authority and promotes the administrative team concept.
- Elicits participation in decision-making and cultivates leadership in others
- Facilitates group processes and effectively manages conflict.
The applicant will meet the legal requirements for principals in Louisiana and possess a Master’s and/or Advanced Degree in educational administration or possess the required endorsements by Louisiana Department of Education (LDE) to lead a school. The applicant will perform administrative tasks which promote an exemplary educational program.
Process for Applying:
2 Letters of Professional Reference (within the last year; with original signatures)
Copy of Certification or Proof of Credentials