1. A minimum of sixty college hours from an accredited college or university and a 2.5 GPA is required.
2. A valid Missouri Teaching Certificate is preferred.
3. Possession of the knowledge, skills, abilities, and physical attributes necessary to perform the
essential functions of the position.
4. Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Board may find appropriate or acceptable.
REPORTS TO: Building Principal
JOB GOAL: To assist with a teacher, group of teachers, or throughout the building to
provide a well-organized, smoothly functioning environment in which
students can take full advantage of the instructional program and available
1. Works with individual students or small groups of students to reinforce learning of material or
skills initially introduced by the teacher.
2. Administers, scores, and records such achievement and diagnostic tests as the teacher
recommends for individual students.
3. Assists the teacher in devising special strategies for reinforcing material or skills based on a
sympathetic understanding of individual students, their needs, interests, and abilities.
4. Operates and cares for equipment used in the classroom for instructional purposes.
5. Helps students master equipment or instructional materials assigned by the teacher.
6. Distributes and collects workbooks, papers, and other materials for instruction.
7. Guides independent study, enrichment work, and remedial work set up and assigned by the
8. Assists with the supervision of students during emergency drills, assemblies, play periods, and
9. Keeps bulletin board and other classroom learning displays up-to-date.
10. Assists with such large group activities as drill work, reading aloud, and story-telling.
11. Reads to students, listens to students read, and participates in other forms of oral
communication with students.
12. Assists students in the library or media center.
13. Checks notebooks, corrects papers, and supervises testing and make-up work, as assigned by
14. Checks and records student attendance.
15. Help students with clothing with necessary and appropriate.
16. Assist with the supervision of students.
17. Serves as the chief source of information and help to any substitute teacher assigned in the
absence of the regular teacher.
18. Serve as a substitute for the teacher, as assigned or required, on an emergency basis.
19. Maintains the same high level of ethical behavior and confidentially of information about
students as is expected of a fully licensed teacher.
20. May be assigned routine clerical duties such as filing, typing, etc.
21. May be assigned to a specific assignment such as study halls, cafeteria supervision, medial
center, in school suspension, after school detention, etc.
22. Demonstrates effective human relations and communication skills.
23. Adheres to good safety practices.
24. Adheres to all district rules, regulations, and policies.
25. Other duties as required or assigned.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Nine, ten, eleven, or twelve-month year. Salary and work year to
be established by the Board.
EVALUATION: Performance of this job will be evaluated by the immediate supervisor.