8 hours per day / 198 day work schedule
WICHITA PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Paraeducator- Adult Education and Family Literacy
Job Title: Paraeducator- Adult Education and Family Literacy 198 Calendar
Department: Title I, Title III or Migrant Education Program
Accountability: Director of Multilingual Education Services and school principals
JOB SUMMARY: The Adult Education and Literacy Paraeducator help to deliver educational programs in the adult elementary programs. The main function of the Adult Education and Family Literacy Paraeducator is to support the Wichita Family Literacy Program by working with individual, or groups of students. The Family Literacy Paraeducator is assigned to meet the needs of specific students and/or program needs within the Family Literacy program. The paraeducator provides additional support for the adult students.
The development of the Adult Education and Family Literacy Paraeducator’s role is to link academic assistance, communication and/or understanding between the school, classroom teacher, adult students and community by assisting in the classroom, school conferences, gatherings or events. They will provide assistance and support to adult education students and their children in the school during a 6-8 hour schedule.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist students with lessons with supervision from a family literacy teacher.
- Assist students and reinforce concepts for individuals or small groups.
- Work with family literacy teachers to modify activities to meet individual student’s needs and develop academic language.
- Perform formal and/or informal assessment activities after training by family literacy teacher and/or district staff.
- Assist family literacy teachers in monitoring, collecting data, and maintaining records regarding student performance and progress.
- Assist in the maintenance of learning areas and/or learning centers and instructional materials.
- Use appropriate educational technology and resources.
- Ability to work in demanding situations and still maintain a sense of order.
- Recognize individual learning styles and become knowledgeable of the characteristics of learners you serve (e.g. cultural background, language proficiency, mobility, and family dynamics).
- Knowledge and skills in working within a multidisciplinary context.
1. All instructional activities that serve adult students must take place under the direct supervision of a family literacy teacher, Adult Education Advocate and/or the MES teaching specialist.
2. An Adult Education and Family Literacy Paraeducator must work with adult students.
3. In addition, bilingual Adult Education and Family Literacy Paraeducator may provide translation and interpretation services to individual students in their native language.
4. Accompany adult students to their classroom for PACT time on a rotating basis.
SKILLS AND EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
Experience working with adult education, Adult ESOL and/or support services for families. Demonstrate proficiency and literacy skills in English and Spanish. Good interpersonal and communication skills are essential, as are energy and enthusiasm for the job.
Two completed years of study at an institution of higher learning (48 credit hours) or an Associate Degree or to pass the ParaPro. Must demonstrate proficiency with technology (Microsoft Office).
Must be able to promote, establish and maintain constructive working relationships with adult students, their children and the school staff in their school. Must remain mindful of cultural differences among families and students.
Demonstrate initiative working independently and with groups. Regular attendance is important.
Must attend required meetings. Flexible schedule.
Must be a self starter and able to work as a contributing member of a team. Must have excellent organizational and time management skills; must be able to prioritize and coordinate tasks; anticipate problems and be proactive rather than reactive.
INSERVICE REQUIREMENTS: There are specific inservice requirements for Adult Education and Family Literacy Paraeducator during the school year.. Attendance at workshops and inservices are required if held during school hours.