Work Year: Half-time (0.5 FTE); 12 month position
Classification: Secretarial/Clerical; B-2-4
Salary: minimum $15.10 per hour
This position provides assistance and support to the Executive Director of Elementary & Secondary Education. He/she meets the needs of the Volunteers in Education programs, and is a liaison to all who interact with the department.
· Assists the Executive Director and supports all assignments given to the Executive Director.
· Acts as liaison between administration, staff, and the public; interpreting and making appropriate decisions based on District policies and State requirements.
· Interacts directly with public in responding to requests and suggestions regarding VIE.
· Implements the VIE program including yearly program evaluations and reports to Leadership.
· Develops and maintains district-wide volunteer marketing and educational materials.
· Develops and communicates procedures for volunteering with RPS.
· Recruits, trains, and coordinates cluster coordinators and building volunteer coordinators, including facilitating regular coordinator meetings.
· Develops, reviews, and evaluates the community volunteer applications, approval process, and placement of approved volunteers.
· Develops, facilitates, and attends volunteer orientations.
· Develops creative volunteer opportunities to support staff throughout the school year and summer sessions.
· Serves as liaison between parent/community volunteers and RPS administration.
· Develops and maintains district-wide volunteer database for tracking of volunteers and hours volunteered.
· Organizes annual Volunteer Recognition event, including securing sponsorship and funding.
· Processes incoming correspondence, prepares correspondence, minutes and evaluations as directed by the Executive Director.
· Handles confidential documentation.
· Responds through direct contact with public, parents, all District staff, Minnesota Department of Education, outside school districts,
and other agencies to situations that directly affect students, staff, and the District.
· Responds to inquiries from other school districts, government agencies and educational commercial firms.
· Maintains the Volunteers in Education websites.
· Attends meetings and/or events of community organizations to develop community/business contacts representing ViE including
Parent/Family Involvement Committee, Rochester Area Volunteer Administrators (RAVA), PAIIR Kindergarten Night.
· Compiles and maintains records and reports relating to program activities.
· Develops and prepares reports and publications including doing research, writing, editing, proofing, design, layout and distribution of reports,
information booklets, and e-documents.
· Prepares and distributes agendas and minutes of committee meetings.
· Processes routine correspondence.
· Maintains calendars of volunteer activities.
· Schedules meetings and volunteer events; schedules use of facilities.
· Arranges for catered meals or other meeting set-up as needed.
· Purchases and/or prepares materials for events and meetings.
· Prepares purchase orders and payment of invoices.
· Works with the site ViE coordinators.
· Employee also performs other tasks within the level of responsibility indicated above as assigned by supervisor.
· Excellent interpersonal skills at a level to handle sensitive and confidential information, questions, and complaints.
· Advanced office technology skills, including word processing, spreadsheets, data bases, desktop publishing, presentations,
and website design and maintenance.
· Ability to understand, interpret, verify and resolve problems.
· Excellent organizational skills, ability to prioritize, work under pressure, work with frequent interruptions, and work independently in a team setting
with integrity, ability to multi-task.
· Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills.
· Strong communication and diplomacy skills in dealing with volunteer coordinators, parents, teachers, administrators, and the public.
· Ability to participate as part of a team.
· Ability to conduct orientations for site volunteers including database training, and online volunteer support programs.
· Supervisory skills.
· Marketing, communications, volunteer coordination, and/or event planning experience preferred.
· Experience as a volunteer: experience in the Rochester Public Schools preferred.
Individuals who wish to be considered for this position must apply online at www.applitrack.com/rochester/onlineapp.