POSITION TITLE: High School Secretary
CALENDAR: 10 month, 217 work days
JOB GOAL: To perform a variety of routine secretary/clerical duties and some specialized duties according to the assignment, program, department and/or administrator. Accepts responsibility for maintaining routine office operations when the principal and or designee is not in the building. To efficiently perform all duties, with flexibility, and with the ability to prioritize work.
- Creates all necessary reports and communication in an accurate and efficient manner and provides them to the appropriate office/person/people.
- Maintains accurate paper and electronic student and staff records and provides information as directed.
- Provides information to students, parents, and staff members in an efficient and courteous manner.
- Enters data related to school programming in an accurate and efficient manner.
- Assists with organizing and/or facilitating school events and activities.
- Collaborates with outside agencies in an efficient and courteous manner when appropriate.
- Creates, originates, maintains and updates all systems of information and communication as it relates to running an efficient school.
- Maintains accurate budgets and provides current information when requested.
- Collaborates with other staff members and provides assistance when appropriate
- Performs other secretarial duties at Battle Creek Central High School as directed
- Promote an emotionally and physically safe and supportive learning environment in which honesty, trust, and diversity are highly valued.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
Knowledge of business English, spelling, and punctuation. Demonstrated proficiencies in multiple technologies and information system applications, i.e., PowerPoint, Excel, Zangle and Internet access.
· Knowledge of how to efficiently mail merge information into documents.
· Knowledge of basic accounting theories and practices.
· Ability to understand and interpret pertinent policies and procedures.
· Must demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication skills.
· Demonstrated proficiencies in multiple technologies and information system application, project management problem solving and multi-tasking skills are required. Includes the demonstrated ability to design and manipulate database information and perform queries.
· Must possess the ability to work effectively, efficiently, and respectfully as an individual and as a team member.
· Must be able to work on multiple high priority tasks simultaneously while maintaining a professional and friendly demeanor.
· Ability to maintain highly sensitive and confidential information is essential.
· Absolute integrity and discretion is required.
· Remains up to date with proficiency for technology
· Ability to come to work on time and on a regular basis as directed by the district
- High School diploma required plus two or more years of post-secondary education/training in one or more of the following areas: business administration; administrative office management; accounting; communications; computer software, mathematics or related fields preferred.
- Five (5) or more years of demonstrated secretarial experience with two years as an office manager; administrative assistant, or other administrative support.
- Demonstrated success in office and/or project management.
- Successful experience and/or training in office administration, accounting.
- Minimum of 60 alpha/numeric wpm typing speed
- Proficient on 10-key calculator.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Proficient in data base management software or related student software applications.
- Experience downloading and exporting files to spreadsheet and electronic data submission from a variety of data sources.
- Sensitive to the needs of diverse populations.
- Ability to perform detailed work in active office environment.
- Ability to adapt and learn district’s software, i.e., WISE and Zangle applications.
- Ability to design and manipulate database information via queries.
ORGANIZATIONAL RELATIONSHIPS: Reports to the Principal of Battle Creek Central High School and/or designee.
SCHOOL SAFETY CLEARANCE: The successful candidate will be subject to a fingerprint and background check as a condition of employment. All fees required for this check (estimated $64.00) will be the responsibility of the successful applicant.
The Battle Creek Public School District is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, handicap, sex, age, religion, national origin, weight, height, or marital status in its employment practices.