SIGN LANGUAGE INSTRUCTIONAL ASSISTANT, 6 HOUR
1. High school diploma and passage of Kern High School District proficiency test; some college preferred
2. Demonstrated knowledge of and the ability to assist in instructing reading, writing and mathematics or reading readiness, writing
readiness and mathematic readiness, as appropriate
3. Proficiency in ASL (American Sign Language) or SEE (Signing Exact English)
4. Training or education in instructional technology applicable to education of hearing impaired students
5. Skill and accuracy in oral and written expression; ability to follow oral and written directions
6. Ability to work effectively with staff, students and public and to respect confidential matters
7. Bilingual ability may be required, depending on assignment
8. Must pass required tests
REPORTS TO: Administrator as assigned
JOB GOAL: To provide desirable classroom environment by performing interpreting, translating and tutorial services for students with severe hearing
1. Assists in presentation of instructional exercises and materials in a self-contained classroom environment; uses sign language
as needed to communicate with students, staff and others
2. Monitors and assists individuals or small groups of students to reinforce instructional concepts
3. Assists in development of desirable social skills and behaviors, and mental and physical health of students
4. Assists with checking, care, preparation and arrangement of instructional materials and equipment; operates or assists students
in operation of specialized equipment
5. Assists with enrollment procedures, cafeteria count, attendance verifications and other classroom routines and activities; assists
with related recordkeeping and filing
6. Assists with yard duty, first aid and physical education activities
7. Assists classroom teacher with handicapped children to and from buses, and in use of special equipment
8. Assists with personal and health needs of pupils including but not limited to toileting and personal hygiene; may occasionally
accompany and assist children in mainstream environment
9. Performs other related duties as assigned
SALARY: $1,628 - $1,979 per month
EVALUATION: Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with the district’s “Improvement
of Professional Services” handbook, Board Policies and Procedures and consistent with
collective bargaining agreements when applicable.
NEW PROBATIONARY EMPLOYEES AND PERMANENT EMPLOYEES WHO BECOME PROBATIONARY UPON RECLASSIFICATION:
A new employee, or a permanent employee who is changed to a new classification, shall serve a probationary period, which shall not exceed one (1) year of duty time exclusive of leaves of absences or other absences. During this probationary period the employee must meet the required standards of performance to be recommended for permanent status in the classification. A probationary classified service employee may be terminated from the probationary classification at any time without cause, without right of appeal or hearing before the Board of Education. Pursuant to Education Code section 45113, a permanent employee who accepts a promotion and fails to complete the probationary period for that promotional position, shall be employed in the classification from which he or she was promoted.
MINIMUM APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS:
Online application and any required documents listed below must be submitted by 8:00 p.m. on August 22, 2012:
1. Completed employment application
2. High School diploma (a diploma from a public California high school dated after January 1, 1981
will also satisfy #3 below)
3. Certification of Kern High School District proficiency in reading, writing and mathematics verified by one (1) of the following:
a. Diploma from a public California high school dated after January 1, 1981 (G.E.D. does not fulfill the
b. Certificate of passage of Kern High School District proficiency test
c. Proof of passage of California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST)
d. Possession of a valid California teaching credential
4. Verification of one (1) of the following:
a. Two years (48 semester units) of study at an accredited college or university
b. Associate’s or higher degree from an accredited college or university
c. Passage of BCSD Paraprofessional Test
The next Paraprofessional Test will be given on on August 27, 2012. Please call 631-4877 to register for the test.
Copies of required certificates, transcripts or diplomas may be submitted with application. District may require that originals be presented for verification prior to employment. Please check with Personnel Services regarding acceptable documents. For positions requiring college course work official transcripts will be required upon employment.
It is the applicant’s responsibility to meet all application requirements and supply copies of all required documents. A separate set of paperwork is required for each application submitted. All application materials submitted become the property of Bakersfield City School District.
The Bakersfield City School District wishes to thank all applicants for their interest in this position. Positions may be re-advertised or application deadlines extended at the discretion of the District. Unless otherwise notified by the District, applications received in response to this bulletin will be considered for available District positions in this classification during the current school year. Those meeting minimum qualifications, including passage of required tests, will remain active during this time. Applicants will not be individually notified of their application status.
The provisions of this bulletin do not constitute a contract expressed or implied and any of the provisions contained herein may be modified or revoked without notice.