Chester Middle School
Title: Reading Intervention Specialist
Certification by the South Carolina Department of Education in elementary
education, reading, or special education; a minimum of five years of teaching
experience; experience working with at-risk learners.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Uses data from standardized tests, classroom grades, and Measures of
Academic Progress (MAP), and curriculum based measures to identify at risk
students in reading in grades 6-8.
2. Coordinates with the school principal a schedule to accommodate
identified students in the program.
3. Attends training sessions as the principal directs.
4. Maintains an in-depth knowledge of the South Carolina English Language
Arts curriculum standards.
5. Provides instruction in reading to small groups of at-risk students as
directed by the principal.
6. Works closely with English Language Arts teachers to coordinate efforts of
the intervention program with the regular classroom to promote student
7. Maintains required data on individual student progress and disseminates
data to principal, teachers, and parents and interim report and report card
8. Compiles reports as needed.
9. Collaborates with the principal.
In addition to the physical and mental capabilities implied by the responsibilities
detailed above, the essential functions of a Reading Intervention Specialist
include: reading, writing, hearing and speaking effectively, analyzing data, and occasionally lifting/moving items weighing up to 25 pounds.
Period of Employment: 190 days
Immediate Supervisor: School Principal
Salary: Based on experience
Apply Online www.chester.k12.sc.us