Wichita Public Schools
ESOL Teacher- Secondary
JOB TITLE: ESOL Teacher- Secondary
DEPARTMENT: ESOL Instructional Services/AMAC
ACCOUNTABILITY: ESOL Instructional Services Director
JOB SUMMARY: The Secondary ESOL teacher who is self-motivated, demonstrates a passion for learning, and has the ability to facilitate a successful learning community for English Language Learners (ELLs). Responsibilities include: collaborating and planning with ESOL and classroom teachers, collaboratively designing curriculum and delivery of instruction based on student data; assisting all ESOL and/or classroom staff members to incorporate effective listening, speaking, reading, and writing strategies into all content areas; providing teaching and coaching for ELLs through direct instruction and differentiated instruction, co-teaching, observing, and giving follow-up support, ongoing communication and support of the assessments regarding to the ELL students.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Self-motivated teacher.
- Coordinate curriculum/materials development projects.
- Providing support and coaching to ELL students through direct instruction, by modeling lessons,co-teaching, observing, and giving follow-up support to students when needed.
- Assisting all ELL students effective listening, speaking, reading, and writing strategies into all content areas
- Administer LAS/KELPA assessment to ELL students as needed.
- Collaboratively plan with general classroom and ESOL teachers on the curriculum and delivery of instruction based on student data.
SKILLS AND EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS: Secondary teaching certificate with and secondary teaching experience. ESOL endorsement required.
Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing. Problem solving skills and initiative to seek solutions are necessary.
INTERRELATIONS: Ability to work with diverse populations.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Participation in appropriate district and department trainings.
NEEDED ATTRIBUTES: Exhibit a professional manner that is supportive. Ability to organize, be a problem solver, visionary and flexible. Must possess the ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, and be detail and quality oriented. Sensitivity to the diverse needs of the ESOL population.