LAURA JEFFREY ACADEMY is the first girl-focused urban middle school in St. Paul, MN. Our purpose is to provide a unique and stimulating education environment where girls are free – to learn, to explore their potential, to discover their brilliance and develop their intellect.
POSITION: DEAN OF STUDENTS
Ensure academic success of students
Share your expertise, enthusiasm and passion for learning.
· Understand LJA’s school framework.
· Understand the theories and research that underlie & support the school’s curriculum & instructional approaches.
· Use the above to help students understand and commit to LJA’s learning framework.
Monitor, coach and communicate to parents re academic achievement of individual students
· Identify students in need of academic monitoring, coaching and parent communication to increase academic performance.
· Work with teachers and other staff to design and provide on-going individual and group supports to achieve academic objectives of identified students.
· Lead LJA’s Problem Solving Team, one of the mechanisms to identify and provide supports for students in need.
· Work w/the Special Education teacher to provide one-on-one services to students identified w/an IEP.
· Serve as a student advocate in collaborative problem solving with teachers and staff.
· Lead efforts to promote student attendance to ensure that LJA meets attendance and achievement goals.
Model a safe and healthy learning environment
· Lead the staff in refining and implementing LJA’s school climate initiative, emphasizing student and staff resiliency.
· Communicate with students and parents on an on-going and timely basis regarding student progress and achievement on academic and non-academic goals.
· Receive and manage student referrals to the Dean’s office, faithfully enforcing LJA’s school climate guidelines and following up with referring teacher as soon as is possible.
· Understand and model LJA principles with colleagues; participate in on-going self-reflection and be willing to make changes accordingly.
· Understand and model LJA principles with students, parents, board, and community.
Family & Cultural Competence Liaison
· Work w/Education Director to develop, implement and evaluate (annually) a plan for building school-wide cultural competency including board, staff, parents and students.
· Establish relationships with community resources and refer students and families when appropriate.
· Collaborate with mental health agencies in the community regarding mental health assessments and diagnosis of specific clients. Partner with mental health professionals regarding treatment plans.
Understand the school-wide budget
· Prioritize and use resources judiciously.
· Provide timely input to acquire necessary curriculum resources related to social work needs.
Work with administrators to ensure that reporting is timely, accurate and pain free.
· Understand your role in supporting the administration so they can more effectively help you with your job responsibilities.
· Keep records of mandated reported information exchanged between you and the county involved (child protection and/or police) and notify the Education Director of any reports made.
Degree in human services, school social work, school counseling or school psychology
Passion for working with 5<SUP>th</SUP> – 8<SUP>th</SUP> grade girls; passion for working with diverse urban youth and families
Experience working with 5<SUP>th</SUP> – 8<SUP>th</SUP> grade girls; experience working with diverse urban youth and families
Belief in incremental intelligence and that all students “get smarter” with effort and support and all can achieve high standards
Strong verbal and written communication skills; ability to promote, initiate and support direct and honest communication among adults and children
Strategic and systemic thinker; sees this role as integral and essential to the achieving the mission/vision of Laura Jeffrey Academy
Committed to ongoing professional and personal development
Licensed Social Worker
Licensed School Psychologist
Licensed School Counselor
Experience working with 5<SUP>th</SUP>- 8<SUP>th</SUP> grade girls