MATH SPECIALIST (ELEMENTARY)
New Canaan Public Schools
Position Opening 2012-13
The Math Specialist (Elementary) works with students, teachers, parents and curriculum leaders to implement the New Canaan Public Schools math curriculum.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Collaborate with staff to plan and implement Common Core Standards and New Canaan Public Schools Mathematic Curriculum.
2. Collaborate with classroom teachers, SPED, ESL teachers on both grouping and instruction.
3. Work closely with classroom teachers to develop individualized plans for students as well as progress monitoring tools and resources in order to monitor student success.<S></S>
4. Provide push-in and pull-out instruction to students as determined by need.
5. Develop and implement effective programs in math.
6. Identify and develop curricular materials to provide differentiated instruction.
7. Research and evaluate materials and programs for math.
8. Participate in parent conferences to communicate student’s progress (report cards, results of formal and informal testing), placement and program.
9. Participate in PPT meetings.
- Assess new students to provide information to classroom teachers about their individual strengths and needs and make recommendations about their placement and programs.
- Use diagnostic assessment to inform instruction.
- Organize and lead data teams to analyze assessment data to form flexible groups and to differentiate instruction.
- Collect and analyze classroom assessments to provide additional data for RTI and IEP meetings.
- Collaborate with classroom teachers, administrators, and specialists to analyze assessment data in order to make instructional decisions.
- Use all sources of assessment data to monitor student progress and the effectiveness of the math intervention and enrichment.
- Create Tier II or III plans, progress monitor effectively, and share data through graphs with trend-lines and aim-lines.
- Plan and implement ongoing staff development in the building and district.
- Plan and implement the school wide TEP and building-based full day staff development.
- Model lessons for classroom teachers and providing follow-up (e.g. coaching, suggesting resources, planning next steps).
- Facilitate study groups in both curriculum and pedagogy.
- Meet with Instructional Leadership Team to assess the building’s math needs and develop an action plan for staff development and program implementation.
- Plan and implement parent training/outreach for math areas.
- Plan and present parent information meetings (e.g. curriculum, interpretations of test scores).
- Organize and implement family math events including Family Math Night, parent math workshops, and school wide math events
Must hold appropriate CT certification.
Knowledge and Expertise in Math
Three or more years of classroom teaching experience
Applicants must apply on line at www.newcanaan.k12.ct.us and upload a resume, cover letter, transcripts, copy of appropriate CT certification, and three letters of recommendation.