Special Education Instructional Assistant
Posted: 5 months ago
Closes: Until Filled
New Canaan High School
New Canaan High School
SPECIAL EDUCATION INSTRUCTIONAL ASSISTANT (10 months, 6 hours/day)
To provide a well-organized, smoothly functioning class environment in which students can take full advantage of the instructional program and available resource materials. The Special Education Instructional Assistant assists teacher by working with individual students or small groups to help them achieve the skill levels of the class as a whole.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Administers, scores, and records such achievement and diagnostic tests as the teacher recommends for the individual students.
- Works with individual students or small groups of students to reinforce learning of materials or skills initially introduced by the teacher.
- Assists the teacher in devising special strategies for reinforcing material or skills based on a sympathetic understanding of individual students, their needs, interests, and abilities.
- Operates and cares for equipment used in the classroom for instructional purposes.
- Helps students master equipment or instructional materials assigned by the teacher.
- Distributes and collects workbooks, papers, and other materials for instruction.
- Guides independent study, enrichment work, and remedial work set up and assigned by the teacher.
- Supervises students during lunch, recess, emergency drills, assemblies, play periods, field trips, and other situations.
- Keeps bulletin board and other classroom learning displays up to date.
- Assists with such large group activities as drill work, reading aloud, and story-telling.
- Reads to students, listens to students read, and participates in other forms of oral communication with students.
- Assists students in the library or media center.
- Checks notebooks, corrects papers, and supervises testing and make-up work, as assigned by the teacher.
- Checks and records student attendance.
- Collects and records collection of money.
- Helps students with their clothing.
- Assists with lunch, snack, and cleanup routines.
- Assists with wash-up and toilet routines.
- Alerts regular teacher to any problem or special information about an individual student.
- Serves as a chief source of information and help to any substitute teacher assigned in the absence of the regular teacher.
- Maintains the same high level of ethical behavior and confidentiality of information about the students as is expected of fully licensed teachers.
- Participates in in-service training programs, as assigned.
- Perform other duties as responsibilities as assigned.
1. High school diploma required. Associate or Bachelor's degree preferred.
- Experience with school aged students preferred.
- Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Board may find appropriate and acceptable.