School Social Worker
TITLE: School Social Worker
QUALIFICATIONS: Type 73 Illinois Certificate as a School Social Worker
REPORTS TO: Director of Special Education, Assistant Director and/or
FUNCTION: To provide school social work services to and on behalf of students
three to twenty-one so that social/emotional and adaptive
development can be enhanced.
A. Services to Students and Parents
1. Performs casework and group work services with students to correct these personal, social or
emotional maladjustments related to their educational and social progress.
2. Performs casework service with parents as an internal part of the task of helping students to
increase the parents’ understanding of their constructive participation in resolving their child’s
problems and their knowledge and use of appropriate available resources.
3. Conducts in-service training for parents and students.
B. Work with School Personnel
1. Consults and collaborates with other school personnel in gathering and giving information on
a case and in establishing and planning for respective roles in the modification of the student’s
2. Participates in the case study evaluation process by obtaining and/or reviewing information
relative to social history, adaptive behavior and cultural background.
3. Consults and collaborates with appropriate school personnel regarding the referral of students
for prevention and intervention strategies as well as for the referral of students to school district,
special education cooperative and various out-of-school agencies as necessary.
4. Participates in countywide preschool screenings.
5. Conducts in-service training for teachers and administrators.
6. Facilitates the accurate maintenance of school records for use by school staff members,
outside agencies and parents as required by law, district and Kendall County Special Education
C. Competency in Methods and Practice
1. Communicates effectively, verbally and in writing with members of the IEP team, building
administration and staff, and Cooperative administrative staff.
2. Organizes time, energy and workload in order to meet responsibilities and complete
assignments with due consideration for the priorities among the various responsibilities.
3. Maintains a clear sense of overall goals, objectives and tasks of a school social worker and
successfully interprets these to school personnel to maintain primary professional activities and
4. Prepares timely written social histories, including child interviews, observations, intelligence
and achievement materials, which systematically appraise the pupil’s ability to learn.
5. Participates in team meetings and IEP conferences including pre-referral interventions,
placements, IEP’s and annual reviews.
6. Provides the school with essential information about pupil’s intelligence and achievement so
school personnel can better accommodate individual student needs.
7. Teaches content and skills to assigned students utilizing best practices, curriculums and
courses of study.
8. Strives to improve professional expertise in area of specialization.
9. Helps identify and assess social and emotional difficulties of children that interfere with their
attendance, adjustment and achievement in school.
10. Takes all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials and
facilities while meeting accepted standards of professional behavior.
11. Observes and follows all Kendall County Special Education Cooperative policies and
12. Exhibits professionalism and commitment through punctuality and attendance.
13. Participates and performs in other duties as assigned by Kendall County Special Education
D. School/Community Relations
1. Functions as a liaison with school, community, family and student when indicated, to link
school and community services.
2. Establishes and maintains open, positive lines of communication with students and their
parents concerning both academics and behavior.
3. Assists the administration in upholding and enforcing school rules and policies.