Hours: 3:15-11:45 PM
Work Year: 52 weeks
Salary: Per contract
Responsibilities and Qualifications:
- Directly responsible to the working foreman in secondary buildings and principal in the elementary buildings.
- Perform the assigned work schedule following approved custodial job procedures.
- Correct minor maintenance problems in that building.
- Perform assigned duties in the care of grounds, including mowing of grass in areas immediately around the building and other areas not accessible to large machinery, removal of snow and ice from walks and steps, and care of flowers and shrubbery.
- Maintain neat and clean uniforms when on duty.
- Be friendly and cooperative with all staff members, students and other school employees.
- Maintain proper and neat storage areas for custodial supplies and equipment in the area of the building assigned.
- Assist the principal, building foreman, or working leader in performing custodial jobs when requested.
- Maintain good sanitary conditions of building facilities.
- Make arrangements for use of school facilities by non-school groups as indicated on building use requests.
- Cooperate with all groups in a pleasant and courteous manner that use the building after regular school hours.
- Report problems noted in the building to foreman, working leader or principal.
- Must have knowledge of the operation of mechanical, electrical and heating units in the building.
- must be familiar with the proper operation and care of custodial mechanical equipment.
- Must have knowledge of institution cleaning procedures.
- Maintain playground equipment in safe and good operating condition.
- Shall perform other duties as assigned.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that a custodian encounters while performing essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works indoors and will occasionally work outdoors, including both hot and cold weather. The employee will be expected to climb and work from ladders and/or personnel lift as necessary. The employee will work near or with moving mechanical equipment. The employee may occasionally work with toxic or caustic chemicals such as petroleum products, degreasers, and sprays. The employee must be able to meet deadlines with severe time constraints. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Working on call as needed at any time for emergency repairs, overtime, or special needs falling outside the normal work hours can be expected.
There is a high probability that contact with blood-borne materials will occur within daily duties. All duties and procedures are to be performed within health safety standards as established by local and state OSHA and school district emergency procedures.
The physical demands describe here are representative of those requirements that must be met by a custodian to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands and fingers to handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; and give and receive oral and written instructions. The employee frequently is required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee frequently must squat, stoop, or kneel, reach above the head, and reach forward. The employee frequently uses hand strength to grasp tools and rungs of ladders. The employee will frequently bend or twist at the neck and trunk more than the average person while performing the duties of this job.
The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, including cleaning supplies, pails, and bags/boxes. Occasionally the employee will lift or move up to 80 pounds, including bags of salt and furniture. The employee will sometimes push or pull items such as table, bleachers, scrubbing machines, etc. This job requires close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
Physical Performance Required to Perform the Job
The custodial position requires that an individual be able to perform the following tasks at the physical levels indicated in order to carryout the essential functions of the job.
RARELY OCCASIONALLY FREQUENTLY CONSTANTLY
(1-10% shift) (11-32% shift) (33-66% of shift) (67-100% of shift)
FLOOR TO WAIST LIFTING 100 lbs 80 lbs 50 lbs – lbs
WAIST TO SHOULDER LIFTING 40 lbs 25 lbs 17 lbs – lbs
OVERHEAD LIFTING – lbs 10 lbs – lbs – lbs
HORIZONTAL LIFTING 80 lbs 35 lbs 17 lbs 7 lbs
CARRYING: Front Carry 30 lbs 25 lbs 12.5 lbs – lbs
PUSHING: Horizontal tractive force 40 lbs 30 lbs 25 lbs 12.5 lbs
PULLING: Horizontal tractive force 30 lbs 25 lbs 12.5 lbs 10 lbs
POWER GRIPPING: Right 19 lbs 16 lbs 10 lbs 5 lbs
Left 19 lbs 16 lbs 10 lbs 5 lbs
(33-66% of shift)
REACH: Overhead x
SQUAT: Sustained x
HEAD/NECK: Flexion x
Static flexed position x
Internal candidates: Please include your seniority date when applying.
In compliance with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title II, the Age Discrimination Act of 1975, and the Americans with Disability Act of 1990, it is the policy of the Huron Valley School district that no person shall, on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex age, disability, height, weight, or marital status be excluded from participation in, be denied benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination during any program or activity or in employment. Inquiries should be addressed to:
Executive Director of Human Resources
2390 S. Milford Rd.
Highland, MI 48357