Description: Edina Public Schools has an opening for a Communications Specialist.
The Communications Specialist works under the direction of the Director of Community Relations and Community Education Services to identify communication issues and needs for Edina Community Education Services with the development and implementation of a plan that communicates information about Community Education Services, events and services to internal and external audiences. The position also assists the Edina Public Schools Communications Manager as needed with the deliver of District communications.
· Assists in the management and delivery of the Community Education Services communication plan.
· Assists in identifying communication issues.
· Writes articles for and assists with the production and distribution of resident and staff newsletters.
· Assists in the management and design of the Community Education Services websites and video production needs such as editing, shooting, etc
· Coordinates the taking of photographs and maintains a file of photographs, etc. which help chronicle Community Education Services events, activities, programs and services.
· Creates and/or develops and distributes, as needed, to appropriate audience, news media, or other special interest publication:
o Paid advertisements for placement
o News releases
o Social media such as Facebook, Twitter, etc.
· Assists with the preparation and coordination of communication in the event of an emergency or disaster.
· Creates, maintains, and manages Community Education Services web pages and site in coordination with District Media And Technology Services.
· Helps plan and coordinate special events for Community Education Services and attends District meetings as assigned (note: some evening and weekends).
· Assists the Edina Public Schools Communications Manager as needed.
· Performs other duties and assumes other responsibilities as apparent or assigned.
· Bachelor’s Degree with major course work in Journalism, Communications, Public Relations, or related field
· Two or more years of related work experience
· Experience working with communications consultants on projects
· Must possess a thorough understanding of communications
· Strong interpersonal skills
· Considerable knowledge of and ability to use word processing, graphics, desk top publishing, lay-out and design, web design and content management, video production, technical writing, and reporting. Skills we are seeking include InDesign, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, social media, video etc.
· Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing
· Communication experience with schools desirable.
Salary Range: $24,148 - 30,515 annually.
Applicant Deadline: 2/4/2011