JOB DESCRIPTION TITLE: Athletic Director
1. Holds a BS Degree.
2. Holds or is eligible for a Virginia teaching license in applicable area.
3. Holds current Virginia driver’s license.
4. Demonstrates skill in active listening, social perceptiveness, conflict resolution, decision-making, problem sensitivity, oral expression, and information ordering/prioritizing.
5. Demonstrates ability to work cooperatively with others.
6. Possesses experience as a participant in a wide variety of sports.
REPORTS TO: Principal JOB GOALS: 1. Plans, directs, coordinates, and oversees all functions pertaining to athletic programs, sports, and Virginia High School League (VHSL) sanctioned activities. This includes personnel, equipment, facilities, travel, emergencies, rules and regulations, and scheduling supporting the implementation of the athletic program.
1. Measures, paints, and prepares fields for games.
2. Assesses environmental factors (temperature and field conditions) to determine the suitability to participate/continue in competition or practice.
3. Provides supervisory coverage, including staff volunteers and sheriff deputies for all athletic events.
4. Assumes responsibility for all athletic monies, including game money boxes and tickets, fund raisers, deposits, etc.
5. Schedules/re-schedules games, including contacting opponents, officials, emergency medical providers/doctors, athletic trainers, and newspapers.
6. Coordinates, schedules, and oversees (in-house) physicals.
7. Serves as VHSL liaison with coaching staff and principal.
8. Sends eligibility lists for all sports/teams to the VHSL.
9. Provides leadership to ensure adherence to VHSL bylaws, rules, and regulations among coaches and players.
10. Exemplifies and encourages good sportsmanship.
11. Creates and maintains an atmosphere characterized by safety, cleanliness, and well-being by providing ample adult supervision, effective crowd control, and clean, well lit venues.
12. Coordinates training programs and routines designed to improve athletic performance among athletic trainer and coaches.
13. Serves as a representative at regular, regional, and state Athletic Directors’ meetings.
14. Maintains budget oversight.
15. Orders equipment for all athletic teams.
16. Assesses budgetary needs for increases and/or decreases in staff, budget, equipment, compensation for security and officials, and compensation to coaching staff.
17. Orders plaques and other recognition paraphernalia (trophies, awards, certificates, etc.) for awards ceremonies.
18. Assumes responsibility for all menus and refreshments for awards ceremonies.
19. Inspects playing venues to locate any items that could potentially injure players.
20. Maintains an accurate inventory of all school owned property
21. Coordinates and pays for all fall, winter, and spring pre-game meals.
22. Coordinates all athletic travel.
23. Secures all support personnel to collect monies, ticket collectors, and athletic trainer.
24. Informs Principal and Superintendent of issues relating to athletics.
25. Monitors athletic expenditures.
26. Prepares athletic calendar(s) and schedules for distribution.
27. Collaborates with athletic trainer in the treatment of athletes.
28. Serves as liaison for Booster organizations.
29. Performs other duties as assigned.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: These physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
a. Trunk strength
c. Extent flexibility
d. Multi-limb coordination
e. Ability to lift fifty (50) pounds
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Eleven month year. Salary and work year to be established by the Board. EVALUATION: Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Board’s policy on the Evaluation of Professional Personnel.